Selling venison

chris .222

Some of the land I shoot on has a lot of muntjac I don't have dsc1 what do I have to do to be able to sell the meat ?

or

Do I need to be a "Trained Hunter"
If you consume all the venison yourself from the deer you shoot, you do not need to be a Trained Hunter. At present as the hunter (i.e the person who shoots the deer) you may also sell small quantities, in your local area, without being a Trained Hunter, but this may change. To sell any deer you shoot to a Game Handling Establishment (Game Dealer) you must be a Trained Hunter. Full details of the requirements can be found in the Wild Game Guide issued by the Food Standards Agency.

see point 6 here

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/draftwildgameguide.pdf

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need DSC 1, but you will need the large game handling qualification which is one of the 5 parts of DSC 1.
You will also need to register as a food business with your local council. Much of it will depend on who you are selling it to and whether or not you are selling it in fur or skinned.
Sadly, you won't get much for Muntjac from a game dealer. I currently get £1.50/kg for muntjac, whereas I get £3/kg for Roe!
MS

I did my Game Meat Hygiene course for large and small game about two years before I did my DSC1.
It meant I did not have to do it again, and it was easy to prepare for.

Back