binos

rockingod

Any one out got any comments about a good pair of binos ? Woodland stalking, fallow, roe, munt etc. Currently got a Nikon action ex 10 x 50 (good for general work from the motor) but they feel a bit heavy walking about after a few hours and had thoughts about something lighter and more compact. Maybe around the 7-8 / 30-40 ish. Haven't got a huge budget, scope and rifle have had the big end. (maybe around the ton/ton 50)

Tks guys

For woodland stalking you needn't go beyond x7 magnification. You will, however, benefit from a large objective lens. 7x42 appears to be the most popular 'standard'. Do bear in mind that your field glasses will be used more than any other piece of kit and where reliability and quality will certainly pay dividends. It matters little what 'scope you have if you can't find the deer in the first place!

As someone once said, "A 'scope is for a rifle but binoculars are for life."

If you can, just keep saving until you have about 400 quid and try to find a set of swarovski 8x30's.

Get the best you can afford, but if you buy that cheap, then you will only have to buy again in the future. A set of zeiss dialyt may even be cheaper. They are older, but they are still quality glass.

Cheers,

J

Like jingzy says, you do need to replace cheaper bins and it's definately worth geting a good pair. I had a pair of zeiss dialyt 7x42 until i left them in my car in Carlisle :mad: , they were fantastic and solid build so if you can get, do.

Don't leave your bins in the car or for that matter go to Carlisle. :evil:

German Military

Hi --

I use a pair of the German military binos. Made by Hensoldt, a division of Zeiss and they are brilliant.

The Fero D-16 8x30. Small, waterproof, rubber armoured and optically superb !

You can also get the later Steiner D-12 8x30 but the Hensoldt's are a better glass !

If you go onto the German eBay (This example is the top price you will need to pay - there are others which pop up regularly at the £100 to £150 price bracket.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hensoldt-Zeis...ash=item3ef72caadb&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Regards

JonP
Mole and Pest Control

I bought some Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 when I started stalking, the multicoated ones are slightly better than the non coated.
On ebay £80 for non coated, £120 plus for multi coated.
Or Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50, got to check for Japanese fakes though.

I bought a pair of Leitz Wetzlar 7x42 for £250 a while back. They are very small, light, waterproof I think nitrogen filled and very good considering they're probably 20 years old. I told a mate of mine about them and he said they'd be "crap, not worth the money and not as good as his Zeiss BGATs". Thats until he had a go one evening and then he admitted there was "Nothing wrong with them! I wish mine were that light"...I took that as a very rare compliment off the Old B :)

These are the 8x model(and suprisingly expensive for old bino's)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEITZ-LEICA-T...s_ET?hash=item35a2b72ff4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I bought these Minox 8x42's from this supplier on E-Bay earlier this year & they are a cracking pair of bino's. I cannot fault them or the service provided by the company & at around £170 delivered damm good value in my opinion. :D

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINOX-Binocul...s_ET?hash=item51898082a7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have no experience with Minox , but I heard a lot of good about them . From one thing I am 100 % sure . Buying cheap turns out expensive and nothing is comparable to quality european optics.
About 20 years ago I owned an 8x56 Swarovski SL ( the slightly round model ) . Exceptional optics but very heavy. I got a good price for it and sold it . At the same time I had a Kahles 6x42 scope. After reading ( to much ) american magazines I bought a pentax 10x42 DCF wich was at that time top of the range . At last light and under trees the Kahles riflescope is FAR superior to the 10x42 binoculars . In a way that you see a roedeer clear and " shootable " though the scope and you see nothing through the binoculars . So I can only give one advice . Wait a bit longer and try to buy quality european binoculars .
For myself I strongly consider getting 8x30/32 binoculars by swarovski , kahles or zeiss . I want to use them for hill stalking in Scotland . I think they must be very practical to put under the jacket when crawling .
My first choice would probably be the swarovski 8x30SLC or the Kahles 8x32 . I just hesitate between the 30mm and the 42 mm version.

zeiss dialyt 7x42 are excellent. They have been superceded now so see if you can find a second hand pair or if your feeling flush buy the new equivalent with the coating on the lenses - you will be amazed how water just falls off the glass.

Back