125gr remington .308

weecornishman

hi all,
has anyone used 125gr .308 remington softpoints on roe??
have had 2 good clear hits using the 150gr softpoints to be left 2 long follow ups, good blood trail to track no problem
but the heavy bullet seems to pass through with out the knockdown effect.
my way of thinking was, until i got .308 was using .243 with 105gr softpoints and dropped most roe where they stood.
have now sold .243 so need to work around it with the .308
any info or thoughts would be helpful

My dad shoot 125 nosler BT in his 308. roe drop like a stone meat damage is a bit high if you are forward but its a good flat round he also shoot all his red with the same round again no issues.

Sounds like you need to try some other 150 grain bullets as the 308 normally drops them quite quickly. Exactly where did the bullets hit?

Sako 123g Soft Points in .308 work well out of my old Pro Hunter and my new A7 likes them though still playing with others at mo.

+1 for the sako 123g used them in 308 for past 2 years they shoot half inch groups at 100 yards and I cannot better that with reloading+at £28 a box they are cheaper than many,shoot mostly red but had no problem with roe and previously reloaded with hornady 150g boat tail soft points which performed perfect on any deer but the 123g are certainly flatter shooting

When I worked on a estate we tried all different 308 ammo,the most consistent round ie grouping, expansion and weight retention was Norma 150 bt,I still use it today on everything I shoot. Expansion is the most critical factor in dropping the animal.

Sako 123g Soft Points in .308 work well out of my old Pro Hunter and my new A7 likes them though still playing with others at mo.

I've recently stopped using Sako 123g. They weren't too bad on Sika and they always stopped them, but on Roe, especially at woodland ranges, there was too much bruising and meat damage.

I'm shooting hand loads with 150 grn Hornady Interbond now. Its early days but so far very promising.

been using the core lokt express, and i am woodland stalking .both shots were about 60/70 yards max. only shoot for heart and lungs and in both cases heart was holed 1 was almost the upper edge and the other was low to the breast bone but there was def damage to heart in both anaimals

When I worked on a estate we tried all different 308 ammo,the most consistent round ie grouping, expansion and weight retention was Norma 150 bt,I still use it today on everything I shoot. Expansion is the most critical factor in dropping the animal.
Love this round for everything from munty to red stag !
Norma

Back