Nosler Partition 6.5mm 125 grain,

Muir

I can't buy a rifle at the Trading Post but they seem to have ways of pegging all of my cash on other items. I was again perusing the bullet shelves and came upon some Nosler 6.5 Partitions dated 3/96 on the price tag. The faded sticker price is $20 for 50 bullets. I'm offered the entire lot (10 boxes) for $12.50 a box so I need to know: What's the verdict?? I have never found any value in partitioned bullets. ~Muir

PS: Never mind. I just checked Nosler's web site: $39 for 50 bullets. I guess I'll be buying them.

Amazing price ! They cost about 2 x that much in UK, and then I found out that my .260 doesn't like them very much ! :(

Any one in SE want them for not much £'s ?

I shot the smallest group I ever fired in the 260 REM I sold this past January with the Nosler 125 Partition . It was the only bullet I loaded for hunting in that gun for the last 15 years .

Thanks for that. I have about 2200 6.5 bullets now so I was a little hesitant but common sense got to me in the end.~Muir

Find a Nosler Partition that shoots well in your rifle, that is suited for the game you'er after, go hunting/stalking and worry about something else. You'll never regret it! capt david

Thanks for that. I have about 2200 6.5 bullets now so I was a little hesitant but common sense got to me in the end.~Muir

I haven't tried it in a 6.5x55 but I can tell you on whitetails the 125 Partition in the 260 REM seemed to be a better killing bullet then the Nosler 120 BT . I used 120 BT's the first couple years and then went to the 125 Partition and had no problems .

I haven't tried it in a 6.5x55 but I can tell you on whitetails the 125 Partition in the 260 REM seemed to be a better killing bullet then the Nosler 120 BT . I used 120 BT's the first couple years and then went to the 125 Partition and had no problems .

Since there isn't a spit's worth of difference between the 260 and a modern 6.5x55, I can take your experiences even across. I use 140's mostly because of the size of the deer I shoot but I have used 129's on some South Dakota whitetails with great results. I bought these bullets along with three hundred Sierra 100 grain HP 6.5's that were offered at the same price. (prairiedogs, ya know?) I'll give the Partitions a try next week.~Muir

I've had very good success with the Hornady 129 SST in the 6.5-06 and 264 WIN MAG on deer .

I put my 264 WIN MAG on paper last fall with the Berger 130 VLD Hunting bullet and that shot great however I never got a chance to kill a deer with that bullet .

Also had excellent succes a few years ago with the no longer made Barnes 130 X Bullet in the 264 WIN MAG .

I've been playing with the 308 150 grain Partition launched at about 2700 fps. Don't know how the construction will compare to the 6.5 and I know the devil is in the detail when it comes to bullet construction but...

So far I've not found the Partition to be as accurate as the 150 grain Hornady Spire Point that I also have loads for, though to be honest I didn't put much work into load development and suspect that I could do a lot better if I put my mind to it. I suspect that Partition has got a so-so reputation for accuracy based upon the older manufacturing method which was less consistent than more modern methods. I think a bit more work could tighten things up for me.

Performance on game, however, has been sufficiently impressive to convert me to using the Partition as my main deer load. I shoot mostly sika, in forestry, at last light and so anything that puts them down faster is a "good thing." The Partitions are the only thing I've shot at the sika that, in about 50% of cases, puts them straight down where they stand. That means 50% less follow ups into thick forestry in the pitch dark after a deer that will almost certainly have run 100 yards and will have died under a bush, behind a tree and at the bottom of a ditch.

Sika aren't big deer so I don't need penetration in a big way and I'm not seeing huge meat damage with the Partitions plus they are leaving the rifle 300fps slower than the Spire Point load, just for information.

I'm sure you've probably tried the Partitions in other cartridges but my view is they are worthwhile at least trying. Worst comes to the worst you can always sell the bullets for more than you paid for them :)

I use them in my 260 Rem and they work well on our Wyoming whitetails and mule deer. Shoot well in my Rem Model 7 Custom MS.

Back