Opinions Please... just out of interest

AviatingJoe

So... :-|

Having a keen interest in all things military, and all things technology, this combines the two.

Official Site – XactSystem™ Precision Guided Firearms | TrackingPoint

If you look on the homepage, there is a section called Extreme Distance Hunting. There is a you tube video... take a look, nothing dodgy I promise.

What's your opinion?

I see it as a great advance in technology, a great leap forward in a theatre of war, a great feat of human engineering.

However, as a hunting tool, doesn't it just remove all the instinctiveness, skill and time and effort that goes along with it.

I find it difficult to accept that there is any skill involved in using this equipment at all.

They come across as rifle toting hooligans without care or regard for the animals. I'm sure the majority of those shots were humane and the animals were required for cull.

AND... what happens when the batteries die...? how good a shot are they then?

The Mark 1 Eyeball and well trained marksman are still getting my vote :D

I can see no point in going hunting with that at all that was like fly swatting !
If it was taking out an insurgent then I could see its uses not that I've ever done that . Perhaps some of our more learned military members could see its pros and cons .
cheers Norma

How about exploding collars? We can just stay at home and watch on the computer then press the button to make their heads explode?

Just watched these guys and not impressed. From what I saw the shots were a little far back and looked like the sighting system just puts the bullet in the largest area. The gut.

Hmmm not sure about it, impressive kit but not sure.

Also IMHO you can't call it 'Guided' since it is still using conventional munitions. If it was firing a projectile that could alter it's trajectory to compensate for local effects or extra operator input then it would be but since it's just a standard bullet once it's left the barrel then that's it and you have to hope your tech is working correctly.

Snag

Hang on a minute, aren't you lot always on about big calibres, high mag scopes, and only taking the shot if you're certain it will go down - isn't this just the next step? :stir:

I'm sure the old boys with open sights said the same thing when people started putting scopes on their rifles?! :D

Man if you truly are a hunter/stalker the thrill if you like is all the senses at their height tingling, reading the wind, topography,every step,watching, listening, truly being part in its barest form,this is impressive but in this era its not for hunters well not for me anyways, but I guess like mentioned above by BunnyDoom on the old guys on the first telescopic sights feck we are those old guys now :eek: its the next progression like when the club became the bow became the rifle and so on !!

Having taken Kudu myself, I think its an appaling way to treat such a majestic animal. Long range shooting is for target shooters. As proven by the film clip above, not using animals as live targets.

And I agree the shot was back on the Kudu, and it did not show the follow up, which may have entailed the animal getting up and running off. What are you going to do when you are a mile away!! No respect, and it has no place in hunting.

Not impressed.
Not sure what calibre they were using but it appeared that shot placement was not an issue - if it was hit it went down. Too many variables and not enough respect for their quarry.

Having taken Kudu myself, I think its an appaling way to treat such a majestic animal. Long range shooting is for target shooters. As proven by the film clip above, not using animals as live targets.

And I agree the shot was back on the Kudu, and it did not show the follow up, which may have entailed the animal getting up and running off. What are you going to do when you are a mile away!! No respect, and it has no place in hunting.

I wholeheartedly agree with every word of this post,these people are trying to promote for financial gain with absolutely no respect for the animals they hunt terrible to promote such long range shooting, these shots when they go wrong and you can bet they will often will cause suffering which is completely unnecessary with follow ups being very difficult no place in hunting at IMO.

As a target shooter I'm also not impressed, what would be the point in owning a gun where you tag the POI and wave the muzzle in the general area while the trigger is depressed, and having the gun shoot itself and every shot land in the same hole (almost). Where's the skill in that?

As a military product, at ranges up to 500 yards (yes I know it can do it further, but shot placement looks an issue), where you want to invest minimum sniper training for maximum effect, then yes it has a niche market.

Target Shooting - no way, Hunting - any stalker worth his salt with respect for the quarry would not buy it.

All very clever, but..
- It calculates the wind based on 'manual input', so is still far from idiot proof. Perhaps a weather RADAR could be fitted to get round this?
- It still relies on the shooter 'tagging' the target accurately to begin with. Surely all this does is swap the need for a precise and accurate trigger release for a precise and accurate button press? It may well be that you can just finger the target on the networked ipad and gain accuracy that way, but if that's the case, why not just stay home, get someone else in Africa to wave the gun around for you, save the flight money and finger it from your armchair via web link with a sandwich in the other hand?

My inner nerd would like to play with one shooting at paper targets, sure, but 'hunting'?? Not for me, thanks.

Back