Can visitors to the UK buy expanding ammunition?

Tartan_Terrier

Not an urgent question as I haven't booked a trip to the UK yet, but when I do, can I buy extra ammunition while I'm here? I had a look on the BASC website and found this:

What do visitors permits allow?

Under Section 17 of the Firearms Act 1968, a visitor to Great Britain may, if granted a visitors' permit, have in their possession firearms, shotguns or ammunition without holding a certificate.
The holder of a visitors' firearm permit may have in their possession (but cannot purchase) a firearm and they may purchase, acquire or have in their possession any ammunition to which Section 1 of the 1968 Act applies (e.g. rifle ammunition)

I believe that expanding ammunition is section 5, is that correct? Or is it section 1 firearms that they are referring to on the BASC website?

Thanks in advance for any input.

T_T

Yes you can, you will need to acquire a visitors firearm permit, to get this you will need to be sponsored by a UK resident, they don't need to be a firearm certificate holder.

I see that you are from Denmark so presume you already hold a European firearms pass, you will need to provide a good clear copy of this with your application, the procedure is slightly different for applicants who reside out with the European community.

when your sponsor applies for your Visitors permit he will state how many rounds you wish to hold and how many
you may wish to acquire.

The actual number will depend on what type of shooting you will be doing and how long you will be in the UK
don't expect to be allowed a large amount if you will only be in the UK for a few days stalking.

When applying for permits for my clients I usually request for them to hold 40 and purchase 20 this number is acceptable to the police for a short visit of a few days up to a week or so, obviously if visiting for longer periods you would request larger numbers.

Not an urgent question as I haven't booked a trip to the UK yet, but when I do, can I buy extra ammunition while I'm here? I had a look on the BASC website and found this:

I believe that expanding ammunition is section 5, is that correct? Or is it section 1 firearms that they are referring to on the BASC website?

Thanks in advance for any input.

T_T

it says what its says, section 5 items of any type including expanding ammunition is subject to Section one control at all times, the difference between say a olympic competitors pistol and expanding ammunition is that the home secretaries authority is needed in addition to a firearm certificate whereas for expanding ammunition it is not.

See subsection 1 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988

Back