Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging roe in the Chiller:

Hanging roe in the Chiller:

I've hung some Roe Buck (Haunch) in the Chiller for 2 weeks to see what would happen more out of curiosity than need for it.

On boning-out the meat and slicing it up into steaks - my my its very dark - what's peoples thoughts on it? My dad reckons it will give me gut-rot! Meat seems fine though and smelt fine???

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

If it doesn't smell bad then I'd still go with it, but it's probably going to be gamey so maybe take a small piece first, flash fry it and see what it tastes like.

I've been told you can hang venison for between 2 days and 2 weeks, with older animals needing longer. I've never gone for more than about 5 days max for a rutty old roe

Hanging roe in the Chiller

Tommo, unlike Willie, I tend to hang roe for around a fortnight at about 3c. (in the skin). However, any of the meat exposed to the air tends to go dark. I don't think you will come to harm eating it but, if you wish I could come and collect it from you and dispose of it.

I leave mine for up to a fortnight and there is nothing wrong with the meat. I know some people that will hang reds for up to 4 weeks.

See l usually hang for at least a day or two then skin and butcher Munties, and l hung the Roe for 3 days in the skin, skined it all and butchered most of it apart from the haunch - then left it in the chiller at about 4 Deg - for another 10 -11 days.

We had some friends around last night (missus' friends l might add) and they know l stalk a lot (they keep asking to taste venison etc.) - l was daring my missus to fetch it out earlier in the day to defrost to grill for them for tea! - She wouldn't do it -

i hang all my deer for atleast a week before processing normally at 0-4 degrees depending on what the fridge is set at
    munties are usually skinned on the same day unless they are donated to a good cause
    but if you skin it and then hang it it will go dark
    no matter
    but to invite the OH's friends and not hav venison
    that is a crime
    better invite your mates and hav a better time........

I have seen Roe hung in a gamedealers for 6 weeks before processing!
    THe same with pigeons , some being sat there for at least a month before breasting.

oops pressed the wrong button Tommo I find that 7/10 days is enough for , me my taste etc , you can hang as long as you like , longer the more gamey!! provided , you keep at around 7 c . ! you should be safe !! 8) . But if peeps prefer a more tougher version ! dont hang just do the biz , That is for those without chillers !!. 48 hrs in a non controlled enviroment . it gets whiffy!!
    Cheers me deers

If you skin your deer but dont want it to go dark, bag it in a large plastic bag and it will not dry out or go dark.