is this normal

mjjl

ok having just started reloading i'm going to ask what may be a stupid question, when i seat the bullets into the case i can see some small copper filings around the top of the case, these can only have been shaved from the bullet during the seating process, i am chamfering the case inside and out, at least 2 full turns with the chamfer tool.
so is this normal?
regards mark.

6.5x55, redding dies, lee chamfer tool, once fired federal brass, 129g hornaday sst, seating to cal depth.

This may sound really daft, but, have you had a check on the bullet sizes with a dial caliper?, sometimes stuff just isn't quite what it's supposed to be, I have had Lapua stuff that was totally outside it's stated limits!

Another couple of daft sounding ones, Is your die a 6mm?, Are the bullets coated with any sort of shellac or varnish, what sort of felt resistance to you seating the bullets are you experiencing?

Hi

I had the same problem that I traced back to the crap Lee chamfer tool. I bought an RCBS one and the problem vanished. If you are using boattail bullets you may be better using a VLD chamfer tool. Also make sure you are seating the bullets straight and not over sizing the case necks. The degree of neck sizing can only really be varied using a bushing style sizing die or to a lesser extent by case neck turning.

Hope this helps

S

Srvet: YOu may have had that experience but truly, the chamfering tool is not necessasarily the culprit. I can get that with RCBS equipment depending on the bullet and the expander plug diameter.

Try buying Lee Universal Expander die. This will not only solve the problem but might provide more accurate loads in the end. JMHO.~Muir

finnbear270 said:
Another couple of daft sounding ones, Is your die a 6mm?, Are the bullets coated with any sort of shellac or varnish, what sort of felt resistance to you seating the bullets are you experiencing?

it's got 6.5x55 written on the die, the bullets aren't coated, as for resistance i don't really have anything to compare it too these being the only bullets i have seated but it's certainly not hard and feels pretty smooth, that said i made a dummy round and then couldn't get it apart with my kinetic hammer, i measured bullet diameter with my calipers and they are as advertised.
srvet i had thought that the chamfer tool could be the problem i will try a different one.
i suppose the big question is does it matter? i mean how much could this affect accuracy?

The short answer is allot or none at all, but it can not be good to be taking shavings off your bullet,in my mind its got to effect the streamlining of the bullet and create turbulence and effect accuracy,but to what effect,I'm not sure.
one thing that you said about not getting the bullet out with your hammer.
are you shore the die is right as i get my bullets out with 3 to 4 hard smacks. and i run 3" neck tension.

you ether have to much neck tension on,or you are not chamfering your cases right,

ATB
Cam

I'm a little concerned here, as we cannot see the extent of the problem, It's possible that something is out of correct dimensions, to have swarf/shavings from a bullet is indicative of a tight tolerance, therefore I would be a little shy of actually shooting these rounds until someone with experience had actual sight of what's going on. Steve.

finnbear270 said:
I'm a little concerned here, as we cannot see the extent of the problem, It's possible that something is out of correct dimensions, to have swarf/shavings from a bullet is indicative of a tight tolerance, therefore I would be a little shy of actually shooting these rounds until someone with experience had actual sight of what's going on. Steve.

already tried them, they shot fine 5/8ths best group at 100 yds, i have now bought a vld chamfer tool and will make up some more to see if the problem is cured. i will report back wether it is or isn't.

finnbear270 said:

already tried them, they shot fine 5/8ths best group at 100 yds, i have now bought a vld chamfer tool and will make up some more to see if the problem is cured. i will report back wether it is or isn't.

well the new chamfer tool has cured the problem, no more shavings, thanks for the advice everyone. i'm a happier person now :D

Back