.260 Remington Availability Rifles and ammo

FGYT

Looking at calibers etc and pretty much always liking something a bit different

though the .260 Remington (a 6.5 - 08 I think or there abouts)

looks interesting ..yes i know 7mm 08 or 6.5 x 55 :D
So please dont go of on the you want this X cal instead

if i do it will be a first FAC application and as most my Dorset FLO would probably want to hold me down to a .243" ( cause its obviously a lot safer :rolleyes:)

and yes its a good cal and available every where

but think pushing up to the 260 should be reasonable

So any good new of the shelf rifles ( I assume a limited second hand market )

And reloading seems to be a good option with 6.5mm heads and up sizing .243" cases

no ive not reloaded before but the engineer in me is looking fwds to the process

but is Factory ammo reasonably available in many options ??

ATB

Duncan

I run a 260 and love it ! it's everything the 243 should be ?

there is factory available for it and it's 'OK' but to realise it's full potential then reloading is your way forward , either the 140 amax or 130 accubond will do most anything the calibre is capable of ?

good choice !

Sako certainly do the 260, but it might be a 6 month lead time.

Ammo is non existent. Home loader proposition really.

You,d be better of with a 6.5x55, and I have a 260....

federal do the 120g BT and a 140 game king , remington do a 140 coreloct , none shot really well in my rifle but all were acceptable rounds for stalking? the 140 gameking was the best in my experience?

steyr do rifles i think as well as sako ? you might want to consider a rebarrel on a shot out short action remmy ? especially looking at the cost of new rifles now!

I have had two 260s. the first was a pro-hunter mountain. This shot really well using 130 grain berger vld. The fore-end of the stocks are a bit flexible(it still shot well but seemed like you had to wait for things to settle down if shooting from a bi-pod) so consider an after market stock. I did but at that time there were few options and they were rather pricey.

The second was a remington. The actions are very short and the magazine length did not allow the length of the ammo that shot well.

Factory rounds were not easy to get and again pricey.

I did find it a good, easy one to shoot and once fired cases cost me nothing at that time

Thanks for he replies so far

Custom build new or rebuild older action is definitely an option.

one reason I picked it is that it supposed to fit std short actions same as a .308" so hopefully making a custom or rebarrel selection easier but yes 6.5 heads do seem to be on the long side.

other considerations

I would like a stainless Action / barrel
synthetic stock

Short barrel 18" ????? maybe not sure if this cal likes short barrels but is a stalking /fox gun so Sub 300 yrds max and mostly 100 -150 ish i guess
so an over barrel Moderator doesn't look silly and doesn't make it to long and unbalanced.

if your going short barrel then you wont gain anything seating well out to gain powder space so the remmy S/A will be fine.

Sako is the way to go for a 260 custom, the Sako medium/308 sized action is a fair bit longer than a Remington or Rem Clone. It allows you to set the bullet well out into the lands.

Look out for a scrap or rough Sako in 22/250 or 243 and buy it with a view to rebarreling - it will work out about the same cost (or a bit less) as a brand new Sako 85.

I personally think 18" is too short for a 260, 20 or 21 inches will give much better velocity. The 260 is at its best with 120-130gr bullets, of which there is a huge selection. If you feel the need for 140 - 160 grain bullets, you will be better served with a 270 or 7mm of some flavour.

Have you been bitten by the bug??
Last time I was in the Sportsman nr. Dorchester they had a S/H .260 in. Give them a call and get your name on it. They'll hold it even if you don't have a license yet, as long as you cross their palm with silver

claret dabbler is right , 20-22" would be better and still handy . I use the 140 amax from my remmy with aics mags and get 2800fps from a stout load of N560 , seems to solve most rifle solveable problems?

Have you been bitten by the bug??
Last time I was in the Sportsman nr. Dorchester they had a S/H .260 in. Give them a call and get your name on it. They'll hold it even if you don't have a license yet, as long as you cross their palm with silver

mmmm Think i know who to blame too :-|

oh your blade is all Shiny and sharp ;) ready n waiting

Still need to get bit of land to give reason. So no rush till then

Gonna push my neighbor for foxing in the fields front and back as the fox keeps looking at my Chickens and Ducks

You don't need land to get it on your ticket. Paid stalking is a perfectly valid reason.

Others have noted the .260 is a good calibre, factory ammo is not readily available but can be ordered (read expensive). Knocks stuff over just fine. I found it to be quite fussy actually, 120gr and 140gr are fine, 125gr-130gr are pants.

Mine is a Sako 75 Med action, border barrel and Mcmillan marbled stock.
Duralyt and 1 piece mounts + a Cmm4 alu top it off.

You don't need land to get it on your ticket. Paid stalking is a perfectly valid reason.

Others have noted the .260 is a good calibre, factory ammo is not readily available but can be ordered (read expensive). Knocks stuff over just fine. I found it to be quite fussy actually, 120gr and 140gr are fine, 125gr-130gr are pants.

Mine is a Sako 75 Med action, border barrel and Mcmillan marbled stock.
Duralyt and 1 piece mounts + a Cmm4 alu top it off.

P.S. most factory rifles chamber a .260 now, T3, Steyr, Sako etc etc.

mmmm Think i know who to blame too :-|

oh your blade is all Shiny and sharp ;) ready n waiting

Still need to get bit of land to give reason. So no rush till then

Gonna push my neighbor for foxing in the fields front and back as the fox keeps looking at my Chickens and Ducks

If you need to say your booked with someone just put my name down. I'm notorious. Didn't you know.

Progress on the scales---------------nothing

I have built 16 .260,s over the last 9 years 3 of which were or are personal rifles, love them. you do have to reload them as factory ammo is far from brilliant. They are worlds apart from the .243 using 100grn. bullets, you dont get the bruising of the 6mm. bullets and their performance on larger deer is very good. I load for a friend who uses a 6.5x55 and the loads bullet for bullet are the same but you get better velocity in the .260, if you dont want to buy Lapua cases sizing up .243 cases gives excellent results, I found Federal cases worked best. As for rifles you dont have a lot of choice out there but I would not have a Remington, had to deal with 2 of them, not a lot of fun. Sako and Tikka do them but only to factory order as yet I think. I will do a wee bit of research on the market and see what I can find out, p m me and we may get something for you.

There's a 260 Rem in my gallery. It's taken 13 years to get this far. Tikka T3 or Remington would be my choices. I looked at rebarreling a Sako 75 but didn't.
Good luck. JCS

Back