Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun licensing reforms needed - Coroner's verdict

Established Poster
    Southern Burgundy, France and the UK a few times per year
    Once more UK based shooters will be put under pressure. It just needs one idiot and the UK goes into 'we must ban that' mode.

I encourage everyone in the shooting and fieldsports fraternity to come together and fight a strong and united stand against further restrictions to your shooting sport. Although I left the UK a long time ago I feel sorry for the way the sport has been crushed by minority power groups and media campaigns.

Regards all...

shame the idiot didn't use an ice axe - maybe we'd have restrictions imposed on the number of winter climbers in the hills!

Heard about this on the radio, where they made it sound like because of that incident, national reform was being considered for gun licensing - potentially worrying considering past knee-jerk reactions that have been made by the people in charge. However, reading that article, it seems like there is a lot more emphasis on the constabulary and failures within their personnel and systems etc., so that's good it's focusing on that rather than 'oh we need to tighten up gun licensing laws'.

Just listening to this on radio 4. The ipcc seem to be peggging most of the blame on the local police constabulary, they seem to come in for a lot of critism for their interpretation of the law and lack of training.

I suppose it could go either way. Were they to insist that police were trained in the law and had stick to it I think this may be very benificial. If there is a knee jerk reaction then we may be in for a rough time. I just heard suggestionn of a hotline to report concerns about firearms holder, this concept makes my skin crawl.

Considering the majority with which this government dealt with the last shooting that involved legals, I am Hopeful.
    Last edited by YoungGun; 08-03-2013 at 14:21.

one day "we need to shoot 50% of our deer, they're ruining our country!",,,next day "firearms should be banned"...

so we f'ing shoot with bow and arrow? ,,,no, that's illegal! I guess we'll have to resort to stoning them or even good old persistency hunting (running after them for days with our family alternatively taking the lead to tire them out)..

Account Suspended
    Bonnie Scotland
    I think the key passages from the link posted are probably these:

Nicholas Long from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said the force had "missed valuable opportunities" to assess Atherton's suitability to be granted a licence.
    "Not only did the IPCC investigation uncover a wanton lack of intrusive inquiries by Durham Constabulary, it also identified poor practices which reflect woeful record keeping," he said.
    "While some of the failings were down to individuals, the underlying issue was Durham Constabulary's lack of adequate systems and safeguards. The force did not have clear policies or procedures in place for dealing with issues presented by an applicant like Atherton."

Giving evidence at the inquest, Chief Constable Mike Barton said prior to the shootings the firearms licensing unit was too focused on administration and not enough on investigating whether applicants should be granted licences.

Outside the hearing, Bobby Turnbull, Alison's son and Tanya's brother, said: "We consider the inquest has exposed some serious flaws in the way applications for shotguns and firearms were managed by Durham Constabulary Firearms Licensing Unit.

Can you really blame the family...

Probably had to endure years of hell knowing their loved ones were suffering historical violence at the hands of this man..

The coroner and inquest will have heard what these girls had endured if we are to believe the news before making a recomendation..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Horden shootings: Convicted officer had gun licence role

(Left to right) Susan McGoldrick, 47, Alison Turnbull, 44 and Tanya Turnbull, 24, were killed
    Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

A police officer who illegally sold guns to the public played a part in granting a gun licence to a man who shot three members of his family.
    Michael Atherton, 42, shot his partner Susan McGoldrick, Alison Turnbull, her daughter Tanya and then himself, in County Durham on New Year's Day 2012.
    Former Durham PC Damien Cobain was convicted of misconduct in a public office in 2010 and left the force.
    An inquest heard he was part of a team that dealt with Atherton's application.
    Taxi driver Atherton shot the three women in the back before taking his own life at his home in Horden.
    In his evidence at the inquest into the deaths, Mr Cobain said he had never seen guidance by the Home Office or the Association of Chief Police Officers on the issuing of gun certificates.
    Domestic abuseAnother officer, Karen Bromley, who was a supervisor in the Durham Police firearms office, told Crook Coroner's Court: "There was no formal training, I'm not aware of any formal training in firearm departments.
    "Ninety per cent of application forms were straightforward."
    This led coroner Andrew Tweddle to describe the force's procedures as "more of an ad hoc arrangement".
    Atherton legally owned six weapons, including three shotguns, despite him having a history of domestic abuse.
    Michael Atherton had a history of domestic and drink-related violence
    Ms Bromley said she had attached a note to Atherton's file in 2006 that said: "Four domestics, last one 24/4/04, was cautioned for assault. Still resides with partner and son and daughter. Would like to refuse, have we sufficient info to refuse re public safety?"
    But despite this he was granted a shotgun certificate and a firearms licence two years later, the inquest was told.
    Mr Cobain left the force after his conviction in 2010, when he was given a suspended sentence for selling on guns due to be destroyed after being surrendered by the public.
    Earlier Home Office pathologist Dr Nigel Cooper said Mrs McGoldrick, 47, Mrs Turnbull, 44, and her 24-year-old daughter would have died quickly after receiving their shotgun wounds, while Atherton would have died instantly as a result of a shotgun wound to the left side of his head.
    The inquest, which is due to last five days, heard they had all been out drinking hours earlier, although tests showed this had not been to excess.
    In the early hours of New Year's Day an argument broke out, which resulted in the shootings.
    The inquest continues.

Very good response from BASC on Radio 5.