Which Harkila Jacket

jordang

Hi,

im looking for a new stalking jacket and have settled on the Harkila range. Im stuck between the Prohunter, Wisla (which is running at a good price atm) and the Lappmark. Most importantly I want it for keeping me dry but a bit of winter warmth would be good too.

Has anyone who uses them got anything good/bad to say about any of them?? Any help is greatly appreciated :D

graham.

HARKILA JACKET

graham I have the harkila kodiak Jacket and have never regreted buying it despite the cost and it is good enough to wear on a pheasant shoot as well.
The only downside is that it dosent have a hood but as i wear a cap this is not a problem.
Would i buy another yes definatelly
A friend of mine has the pro hunter it may not look as nice and isnt quite as comfy but has a hood and is harder wearing.
My advice is buy one you wil not regret it
ATB
RICK O SHEA

I've got the Kodiak Jacket and trousers for winter and the Wisla jacket for warmer days - brilliant kit and well worth the money.

I have the pro hunter jacket and trousers and wear them continually they are very good and do the job well no regrets and would buy the same again.
Karl

I have the pro hunter jacket and trousers and think they are great infact I dont seem to wear anything else these days would even take the better half out for a meal wearing them if she would let me . Great piece of kit would buy exactly the same again.
Karl

I have the pro hunter and am very happy with it as does the guy i shoot with.

I wouldnt say you need anything warmer in this country, in fact i am looking for a lighter jacket to wear as i get a bit toasty!

I reckon that they are quite smart as well, easily good enough to wear on a driven day

Dan

I have the Prohunter and cant rate it any higher... Its water proof, silent, it has a hood if its really wet... Also they have a 5 year gaurantee

Local Estate that i go beating on gave all the keepers the new kodiak jackets last year and they all leaked on the first day of wearing them! It might have been a faulty batch but worth keeping in mind...

Overall I like the range and even though they are expensive they are good quality

thanks chaps, all good stuff :)

Blot; do you reckon the Wisla would be any use in a winter downpour?

No doubt the Wisla jacket will be waterproof but, you might get a bit cold.

Nothing some thermals and a micro fleece wouldn't fix.

I find layering up in winter is the way to stay warmest, thermals, microfleece, thicker fleece, then waterproof swazi thar anorak.

If you are considering a serious investment in a jacket a Swazi wapiti jacket would be worth a look but, if you're heart is set on harkila I would go for the Kodiak especially at this price;

http://clothing.william-powell.co.uk/items/?id=4392

I use the Harkila pro hunter trousers and they are very good quality.

ATB
Moses

Pro Hunter

I have both Pro Hunter and kodiak trousers and rate them both V Vhighly depending on the climate. But bot grades are exceptional

Jordang

I second Moses's comments on the Wisla although I haven't worn it in heavy rain - a great jacket for the warmer weather but for me the Kodiak is the thing for winter wear. I sat in a highseat with the jacket and trousers and the heavens literally opened for about 30 minutes, really like a monsoon. Not a drop of water got through. The leather on the front of the legs is also brilliangt for crawling in anything from wet grass to mud.

A lot of money but in my opnion you gets what you pays for !

Blot

Kodiac. Never had a prob...always stayed warm. Shop around, and make an offer. The mark up is at least 100% normally, so if you had a friendly supplier...talk to them and see what they can do.

cheers, plenty of food for thought!

I had discountd the Kodiak due the lack of a hood... what do you chaps wear to keep the rain from going down the collar then?? Im not a fair weather shooter so expect ill be out in all sorts of downpours :D

graham

I never wear a hood! I've got them for my Sportchief and Kammo jackets as well as the Musto I wear game shooting, but I find them worse than useless as, although they keep you dry, they muffle any sound.

I use a gore-tex hat instead.

willie_gunn

Hi I've had the wisla for about a year now and its great but there is one problem there’s no hoods in stock anywhere for them I've spoke to loads of gun shops and they say there pretty much no chance of getting one. Back to the jacket its got loads of pocket so plenty of space for storing stuff I wear mine for all my activates and its smart to so you can wear it to driven days as well its not quite as tough as the pro hunter in terms of bramble proof but at £130 you cant argue at that . As for keeping you warm just put a fleece under it and your sorted, I’ve worn it in some pretty **** conditions last winter and it coped great 100% waterproof.

A hood most certainly muffles your hearing and also effects your peripheral vision. I wear a wide brim trilby type hat which is also very good for shielding your face if you are not wearing a face veil.

Härkila prohunter. Great bit of kit. Into the 3rd season with mine. Ive got the Härkila fleece that zips in the prohunter jacket. Prohunter jacket with fleece and a Swazi shirt warm at -25c

If you're after a Wisla and know where there is one I should snap it up as they don't appear in the latest catalogue/pricelist. Prohunter & Kodiak are still there but there does seem to be an alarming trend towards these short, light jackets in there....horrible things.

I think ive settled on the Prohunter tbh.

just need to try one on now when i get home :D

thanks for all the advice chaps.. good forum this ;)

Back