Thread: Trail cams that use mobile networks

Trail cams that use mobile networks

Dear All,

Im looking at the Spypoint Live trail cam, as I like the idea that it can send images/films to a database, that can be veiwed over the internet. Has anyone got any experience with these types of trailcams?

from what i have heard if there is any tree movement you end up with a large bill and a lot of pictures of trees so be careful

As above I think there is always the risk of some sort of "run away" situation with the various cameras that send a message or email every time they trigger. This might not be so bad if you are close to the location of the camera and so can nip down and switch it off, though it might be a pain if it starts up in the middle of the night.

On the other hand I have a Bushnell camera (it doesn't sent messages) and have had considerable fun out of it over the 8 or 9 months I've had it. Bushnell are famous for their sensors being very good and keeping false triggers to a minimum but my camera has been out almost constantly for the 8 or 9 months now and I've not had many false triggers, and even those I'm pretty certain were down to a bird or something fast moving tripping the camera and being long gone before it took the picture. I'm pretty careful when positioning the camera to try and reduce the chance of false triggers etc. but even so I would have very little worry about my Bushnell suffering a large number of false triggers. Some cameras can also suffer from a mode of failure whereby they start taking pictures and don't stop until the batteries run out but, in general, with a decent camera, decent sensor and decent positioning "run away" picture taking should be such a big problem if my experiences are worth anything.

The other thing you might want to consider, in view of the cost of the messaging type cameras, is if it is going to give you any significant advantage to have real time info from your camera. If you are trying to capture poachers then getting real time notification of their arrival might be useful but if your interest is in the deer on your ground and their movements then real time pictures are not necessary and do not add any info to what you would get by picking up the card every time you visit the ground. Sure, the real time interactive type thing might seem like a good idea and a fancy feature but in many situations it doesn't actually add anything to what you are trying to do.

I bought my Bushnell (a 2012 model with the fast sensing etc.) from the USA for 112. Sure I don't have a warranty etc. but for something I'm tying to a tree and which might get stolen or filled with water or whatever I thought that keeping the investment down was a bigger priority than warranty and things like that. Given that you could maybe buy several decent cameras for the price of one of the messaging ones and that, in turn, might give you more info about the movements of your deer.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit: