Available: Roe Stalking near Inverness

JRoe

Well folks, after a beautiful month of weather, things have changed slightly. A wee bit cooler today and a cold wind arriving from that most useless of directions, the East ! Anyway I'm getting near the end of the Does here - - just a few more to catch up with and then looking forward to the Bucks from April Fools Day. A lot of oil seed rape round about here and it's peeping through nicely. The last few Does have been eating their fill and it does make the Stalking a lot easier when you can almost guarantee they'll be out. At least I hope they will as long as this wind doesn't affect things too much !

This is my usual advert - -

Roe Stalking for skilled or novice Hunters. Bring your own Rifle or you’re welcome to use one of mine. Instruction available if required. From only £80 per outing (Approx four hours). If an extra opportunity should arise after your successful stalk that would be fine, however you are restricted to two Roe per outing. No Trophy fees but a good bottle of Malt would be appreciated if you get yourself a decent one!

Approved Witness available for any of you undertaking your Level 2.
Duration 4 hours approx ( Could be longer but at Witnesses' discretion). At the moment this facility is only available at weekends. Shortly thoughthe evenings will obviously be available. Please contact me for further details.

B&B at www.cromalbank.com - - with pickup from Airport or Railway Station if required. Plenty Roe about - - . Good easy walking areas - - mixed arable with plenty woodland. Companions are welcome and you may take your Venison home with you for a moderate £1 per pound. Here's a link if you want an idea of the ground - -
Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

It is mainly the woodland on the east side marching with the Fort George Ranges on the west.
Contact me, John Ross on 01667 462 166 or 07774 742 227 or cromalbank@aol.com for more info and available dates etc.

Thankyou.

Hi John,

Would have loved to make it back up with Egis. Ive hopefully got him working on a loft conversion and extension beginning April.

Anybody looking in on the add all i can say is youll have a great time and nobody will work harder in making sure your stay is as enjoyable and memorable as you could hope for.

Look forward to catching up again when the work calms down a bit, hope your well

Atb

Terry

I have to agree with Terry . John works hard to ensure he produces the goods. Top man and nice ground.

What a great morning!!! need i say any more?

The mrs has had me busy renovating the new house for the last few months and my free time to go shooting has been limited, to say the least.....

I got in touch with john on wednesday and he managed to fit me in this morning.

We met at john's at 6am and i was greated with coffee and toast, just what i needed after such an early start.

Off we headed to john's ground, true "roe country", mixed crop fields surrounded by woodland..

As we drove past one of john's fields we spotted a doe grazing in a wee bit of rough ground, about 400yds away. John decided to park up the jeep about 200yds along the road and stalk in from there using the forestry as cover.

We made our way through the woods trying our best to be light footed through the hard frost on the ground. After about 20mins stalking we were able to see the area where the doe was,but no sighn of it??

We continued a few yds and still nothing, a few more steps add i caught a glimpse of what i thought was a pair of lugs.... i whispered as gently as i could "john, between the fork of the tree". there she was, a lovely doe. john set the sticks up for me, onto the sticks i went, heart raceing, deep breaths, but she just wasn't standing broadside,,, a couple of minutes past, then she took 2 steps forward and stood perfectly, outward breath, squeezed trigger,bang! she took a quick burst forward and dropped. after reloading and waiting a few minutes, we approached. A clean chest shot, perfect, i was delighted and john was equally, if not more, happy. we gralloched her and took her back to the jeep.

I was delighted and expected to be heading for home, but john took me to another area of his ground where we managed to grass another.

this was a truly memorable day and i would like thank john for having me.

anyone, of any experiance, wishing to have a go at stalking should definately give john a shout, a more frendly atmosphere you could not ask for, a true gent .

thank you john once again.

ally

Well Done, nice write up! It's a cracking place and a pleasure to stalk there.

John is a very good host and will always do his very best.

TJ

Thanks all you guys above for the kind comments.
Terry - - I'm sorry you & Egis can't make it up for a while - - good luck with loft conversion and extension ( larder & chiller huh ?) - - looking forward to seeing you whenever you can manage.
Ally - - aye we'ld a grand morning yesterday. Conditions were tough, dead quiet and crunchy frost underfoot but luckily we managed to sneak up on that deaf Doe. Well spotted by you and a perfect shot. Good to have someone who can follow me fairly quietly rather than some herds of Elephants I've experienced. A nice couple of "cull" does in the bag. Looking forward to the next time - - and thanks also for the Salmon you v kindly brought along.
Bucktail - - hopefully see you again soon.
Wallace - - we had a good wander last Thursday morning - - another nice couple of Does. Funny how some people make their own luck - - you must be one of the luckiest guys on the Stalking planet. Almost every time you come here you are successful. You'll be telling us next that luck doesn't come into it - - it's obviously,pure Stalking ability, fieldcraft and accuracy. You're certainly a Roe Magnet !
TJ - - see you tomorrow.

All the best to you all

JR

Back