First Aid Training...Opinions please?

First Aid Awareness Importance

• Total voters

AviatingJoe

Out of interest...

Do people think that first aid awareness training for the rural environment, stalking and country sports etc would be a good thing.

Also would you, and maybe your staff, want to attend for a further awareness..?

Cheers

PS... Poll at the top, saves the typing strain on the trigger finger ;)

Last edited:
What is a First Aid Awarness course ????? is it to make you aware of first aid training in the area ??

Personnally i think First aid should be taught to all at school level at all ages built up over the 10yrs at school you would be turning out quite highly trained first aiders in their 10000's every year @16 well above 1st aid at work level etc

ATB

Duncan

What is a First Aid Awarness course ????? is it to make you aware of first aid training in the area ??

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Makes the layman more aware of the vital basic skills to save a life...

An awareness course would remove the need for high costs and qualification expiry dates etc

:)

Personnally i think First aid should be taught to all at school level at all ages built up over the 10yrs at school you would be turning out quite highly trained first aiders in their 10000's every year @16 well above 1st aid at work level etc

Here here, some of our "customers" would have had a better chance if someone had been able to administer immediate first aid :(

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Makes the layman more aware of the vital basic skills to save a life...

An awareness course would remove the need for high costs and qualification expiry dates etc

:)

A great many stalkers will already have done a first aid course, and I would think almost all the pros will have done one, done several the first one about thirty years ago, at the present time its First-Aid- First which I have had since 2006 original course was over four days it lasts three years and you can renew with a one day refresher course provided you do it before your certificate expires.

Its a no brainer to me , and I have done first aid courses purely for my own peace of mind , imagine if someone you loved died for lack of basic first aid ?

I do think it is important, and second the comments that is should be taught to all in schools.

It amazes me how many people stand around when bad things happen unaware and ill equipped with what to do.

We had a chap on here not that long ago cut himself badly with a knife. A decent dressing and there would have been no problem, and no worry.

A great many stalkers will already have done a first aid course, and I would think almost all the pros will have done one, done several the first one about thirty years ago, at the present time its First-Aid- First which I have had since 2006 original course was over four days it lasts three years and you can renew with a one day refresher course provided you do it before your certificate expires.

Thanks, just dipping my toe in the water at the minute.

Was that rural specific, away from easy rescue, difficult ground to extract over, bad weather, gun shot wounds, major lacerations / incisions, difficulty breathing in the middle of nowhere, heart attack without the option of fast ambulance access etc etc?

Would certainly be interested. For my own peace of mind and just to have some knowledge I did a course which included the +F parts for chainsaw use etc. However this course still relied on the fact that someone (professional) would arrive at some point. I would like to further my training with the emphasis on helping someone in a rural/remote place.
Not bothered about a certificate as I have enough to cover the requirements at work. I'll watch with interest.

Would certainly be interested. For my own peace of mind and just to have some knowledge I did a course which included the +F parts for chainsaw use etc. However this course still relied on the fact that someone (professional) would arrive at some point. I would like to further my training with the emphasis on helping someone in a rural/remote place.
Not bothered about a certificate as I have enough to cover the requirements at work. I'll watch with interest.
Thanks for that, that is exactly where I want to pitch the course... its an awareness to further peoples knowledge and save life

Very timely thread as i will be putting together a course based in Devon sometime this year, putting costs together at the moment, the more places i fill the cheaper it will be.
Cheers
Richard

Very timely thread as i will be putting together a course based in Devon sometime this year, putting costs together at the moment, the more places i fill the cheaper it will be.
Cheers
Richard
That sounds good, I would love to compare notes as I have a robust understanding of remote and combat based immediate care. I'm only up in Wiltshire and come down to Dorset quite regularly so if you wanted any vignettes or assistance I'd be more than happy to talk, plus a chance to pick your brains on the commercial side of life would be good.

Was taught basic first aid in the Scouts. Triangle bandages, tourniquets, CPR etc.

Came in handy 30 years later when my druggy alchy neighbour (otherwise a very nice chap) knocked on my door one night to announce that he had just ODed and please would I call an ambulance :doh:

I sat with him whilst he faded and chatted to the ambulance team on speakerphone. When he collapsed and fitted we talked it through and I managed to keep him going until they arrived, despite the personal risk.

Didn't do much good, they kicked him out after four days and he was dead by the end of the week.

Why 'rural' first aid?:confused: Surely first aid is first aid in any environment? Accidents can happen anywhere and a basic knowledge of first aid is useful in any situation as well as any environment. The usual 'First aid at Work' course should be enough to cover most eventualities. Why seperate rural and urban, unless it is just another excuse to invent yet another piece of paper which you can benefit from financially? I'm a great believer in First aid and that it should be taught at schools and refreshed regularly. I also believe that people on benefits that cannot find work should be offered such courses so that they may give something back to society and increase their personal development. It's a great idea, but why complicate it?
MS

I've been trained in first aid since I was 13 and as I have to instruct on occasional courses I now do three days every three years and. One day every year on anything new coming out or changes. It is a good idea but most employers give a basic knowledge to most employees as far as I'm aware. I definitely think it should be taught to in schools.

Where I do agree with most of your post, as in making the level of education higher,

Why 'rural' first aid?:confused: Surely first aid is first aid in any environment?
MS

This could be seen as a somewhat naive opinion. Obviously, it is important to be clear that first aid in any environment is important and the principles are the same. First Aid at Work covers "most" eventualities. I recall that it covers most injuries that you may come across, and it covers the necessary for someone to support a casualty until the inevitable, easily accessible professional response arrives.

However...picture the scene... Highlands of scotland, miles off the road network, and you stumble upon someone with a gunshot wound to the chest...it happens. As you assess his ABC you realise that his airway is clear, he has rapid shallow breathing and is clutching at his chest. The cloud is starting to lower, and the light is fading. You dial 999 and they tell you that an ambulance cant get to you, so sit tight and mark your location as well as possible to allow mountain rescue / helicopter to locate you. The cloud is too low and a mountain recuse team are scrambled. They take 3 hours to reach your location. The casualty, untreated or badly treated would survive 3-4 hours without professional intervention. With a little basic assistance, and a knowledge of the way to treat such a situation, he could last 8-12-14-16 hours without professional intervention dependant on fitness and wound management etc.

Why 'rural' first aid?:confused: Surely first aid is first aid in any environment?

Yes and no.

Most 'conventional' first aid is designed to stabilise a patient, maintain oxygenation etc until further help arrives - you would normally get an ambulance in a few minutes. If you slice your hand severing arteries gutting a deer at home a pressure dressing and the ambulance is their in 10 minutes. Now imagine you do the same on a remote Scottish hillside miles from anyone. No phone signal. You are on your own. You might be hours from help. If you twist your ankle it may be that evening when you don't check in with the wife before the alarm gets raised. Different skills, different kit, different techniques.

[There's no point starting CPR if you have no means of contacting help. You may need to give more thought to cleaning wounds, splinting breaks and sprains etc]

It is all down to how close you are to civilisation. How quickly you can get help. How well you can cope with an injury to yourself.

Why seperate rural and urban, unless it is just another excuse to invent yet another piece of paper which you can benefit from financially?
MS

and no, I'm not a business, just someone who believes a little training goes a long way having been the healthcare professional dealing with casualties that could of/should of survived with a little basic intervention

Yes and no.

Most 'conventional' first aid is designed to stabilise a patient, maintain oxygenation etc until further help arrives - you would normally get an ambulance in a few minutes. If you slice your hand severing arteries gutting a deer at home a pressure dressing and the ambulance is their in 10 minutes. Now imagine you do the same on a remote Scottish hillside miles from anyone. No phone signal. You are on your own. You might be hours from help. If you twist your ankle it may be that evening when you don't check in with the wife before the alarm gets raised. Different skills, different kit, different techniques.

[There's no point starting CPR if you have no means of contacting help. You may need to give more thought to cleaning wounds, splinting breaks and sprains etc]

It is all down to how close you are to civilisation. How quickly you can get help. How well you can cope with an injury to yourself.

Seconded

ATB

Duncan

You gotta be joking Duncan!
I offered my business mending Garden Machinery to my nephew. 21yrs old, no job. I said give me £5k for it when you've saved it up from the profits.
It would take him less than a year to own his own profitable business. I even said I'd train him
NO NO NO NO NO he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. Living off the state instead.
Can you imagine what he'd do if faced with some blood that wasn't his

Back