Finally I get it !

Acm

Okay , I'll be honest here . I've always thought most custom knives are rip offs if I'm honest , and dougster on this forum your work is amazing , but I've always thought it pretty pricey . So anyway to kill the hours of night lambing I thought I'd have a go at it myself !
Heres the result after a good 40 hours work .

what do you think ?
The blade is 12c27 scandi grind trapper style . 4mm thick .
The handle is stabilised spalted hawthorn with red liners and mosaic pins finished with oil .
I really like it and boy does it take an edge ! I've recently bought a falkniven for real work and its just as sharp as this !

I feel bad for thinking people were charging too much , I wouldn't sell this knife for £500 nor would I take on making one for profit . My works not a patch on most people's and they do it as a business ! So hats of to you guys ! And thanks for the inspiration !

Please leave comments with your thoughts !

Sheath to follow !

Nice!! Was the blade an Enzo trapper?

Have wondered about doing something similar in the past myself. just need to find 40 hours now!!

Where did you get the blade from to start this knife off I have always wanted to have a go.

cheers

pete

Looks a bit good for skinning dead lambs and opening bales..............

:D

I honestly can't see how you can handmake knives and make money.

There is a great deal of pleasure to be had from making your own knife.
This is my first attempt using a piece of antler from my first red stag and a 223 case for the lanyard hole.

Nice. Have you done anything particular with the antler, I have heard Red antler is difficult to work with. Looking at the knife I assume you've drilled out a hole for the tang and epoxyed it in place?

I to had a go. I'm on my second. I use Brisa for my bits. The second one cost me £100 in parts and 10 hours if filing the handle Kives.jpgKnives.jpg!

That looks great.

I treated myself to an Enzo Elver kit (D2 flat grind, micarta scale, left hand sheath) for my birthday, it'll be my first attempt too. I cheated by going for the pre-shaped scales and sheath.

Hoping it will be a handy roe and muntjack blade, for when my swingblade is a bit too big. Thats why I chose the flat grind, I think scandi is more suited to bushcraft/survival etc.

Did a deal with the englishhandmadeknives chap at a show.

I plan to fit a lanyard hole, but I'm trying to work out the best method of drilling the pre-shaped scales without risking chipping them.

I didn't buy the lanyard bush, the price for a short length of tube was silly, I bought 1m of 6mm x 0.5mm brass tube from B+Q for £7, so have enough for a lot more knives.

If anyone needs a bit, PM me.

Last edited:
There is a great deal of pleasure to be had from making your own knife.
This is my first attempt using a piece of antler from my first red stag and a 223 case for the lanyard hole.

Nice. Have you done anything particular with the antler, I have heard Red antler is difficult to work with. Looking at the knife I assume you've drilled out a hole for the tang and epoxyed it in place?

Wasnt difficult to work at all. Just drilled it out to take the tang and epoxied it in as you guessed. Ran it on the belt sander to shape it and used a 223 case for the lanyard liner. I did make sure I didnt have t take too much off the outer of the antler as I could see I'd have reached a porous centre after about 4mm of outer hard antler.

Back