Anyone seen this before in Fallow deer, deer or any other animal for that matter?

jon2

Dear all

I shot a Fallow doe on tuesday night and found these 'orrible looking cist type affairs on the placenta.

Anyone seen this before/know what it is?

020-3_zpsb9613c93.jpg

KR

JB

If memory serves, placentome is the correct term for entire structure, a combination of the caruncle and cotyledon. All ruminants have them, deer have fewer but larger ones.

Ah bugger!

Thought it would take someone ages to come up with the answer.

Well done to HME and Wildfowler. Top marks!

I didn't know what it was and had never seen it before. You are obviously correct. Very informed and well done.

They are the undeveloped eggs left over from the rut. They will be reabsorbed

Not sure where you've got that idea from! Gypsies perhaps!

Ruminants don't have one large placental contact area like other mammals, but several smaller ones, like the ones pictured - it's basically the contact point between the foetus and mother.

Just sat in the local indian takeaway passing the time on SD drinking a Cobra...

I knew I shouldnt have looked at this thread!!!

So you don't think they're corpus luteum
and I don't associate with gypsies thank you

I stand corrected they are indeed
placental cotyledons

Last edited:
I think you're getting a bit confused here, first you suggest they are undeveloped eggs then the Corpus luteum which never leaves the ovary and is a single structure. Where were you getting these ideas?

Not sure where you've got that idea from! Gypsies perhaps!

Ruminants don't have one large placental contact area like other mammals, but several smaller ones, like the ones pictured - it's basically the contact point between the foetus and mother.

I can see it now. The Transit stops outside the house and the driver says " we are in the area and noticed your trees need cut back. We also have some left over tarmac and can do your driveway cheap. We will even throw in a lesson on Ruminant anatomy"

I think you're getting a bit confused here, first you suggest they are undeveloped eggs then the Corpus luteum which never leaves the ovary and is a single structure. Where were you getting these ideas?

Ah that reminds me "a man who never made a mistake, never made anything." And I admitted I was mistaken

Now I have read this thread and foremost I don't know the answer ? but it sure is interesting some say one thing some say another nothing wrong there mistakes are spoken for, but which is the definitive answer ?

I wasn't having a dig merely curious as to where you got the information for your suggestions.

Diz, see the earlier explanations.

Back