moderator insert ???can it be done

robert1666

situation is ive bought a 30 cal moderator in 15x1 with spigot its a t8 , however ive been told it wont fit onto my gun as the barrels not thick enough for the 15x1 so ive had the barrel screw cut at 1/2" unf and been told to buy a moderator with this thread, so what im wondering is this could i have a 1/2 inch insert made up that will fit onto my barrel then on the outside of this insert have it threaded for 15x1 then screw my current moderator onto this ? can this be done ? intrested to hear from gunsmiths and engineers on this one ?

(and for the smart arses out there yes i know i should just get rid of the moderator and get the right one im just wondering thats all)

situation is ive bought a 30 cal moderator in 15x1 with spigot its a t8 , however ive been told it wont fit onto my gun as the barrels not thick enough for the 15x1 so ive had the barrel screw cut at 1/2" unf and been told to buy a moderator with this thread, so what im wondering is this could i have a 1/2 inch insert made up that will fit onto my barrel then on the outside of this insert have it threaded for 15x1 then screw my current moderator onto this ? can this be done ? intrested to hear from gunsmiths and engineers on this one ?

(and for the smart arses out there yes i know i should just get rid of the moderator and get the right one im just wondering thats all)
Yes it can be done. There's a few mods out there with 'interchangeable' inserts to be useable on lots of rifles, it does need to be very well made though as there is now twice as many potential 'misalignment' areas.
Regards
Pete

yeah when i asked my gunsmith if he could maybe do that to save me a load of hassle i.e sending license away for a 1 for 1 etc and he said that theres a lot of potential for misalignment, any idea where i could get one of these inserts?

yeah when i asked my gunsmith if he could maybe do that to save me a load of hassle i.e sending license away for a 1 for 1 etc and he said that theres a lot of potential for misalignment, any idea where i could get one of these inserts?
Yep, your gunsmith. Or why not see if the manufacturer of the mod can change it, I know jacksons change the 'insert' in northstars.

Regards
Pete

Yep, your gunsmith. Or why not see if the manufacturer of the mod can change it, I know jacksons change the 'insert' in northstars.

Regards
Pete

ohhh good man pete jackson rifles i will give them a bell tommorow see what they say, what is north star is that another memeber or the form ?

Not if he was a skilled machinist there wouldn't be. What a strange thing for a gunsmith to say.~Muir

Not if he was a skilled machinist there wouldn't be. What a strange thing for a gunsmith to say.~Muir

Muir please remember most of them are simply retailers and not "Gunsmiths" at all. I doubt many would know how to use a lathe.

Congratulations .............................. however you know well what i said was very true .......................... MOST ​are simply retailers or if you like shopkeepers.

​A fact I'm coming to accept, regardless of what's claimed.

It would have very thin Walls mate. 1/2"-15mm wont give you a lot of material to work with.

Ezzy

robert1666 said:
he said that theres a lot of potential for misalignment

I don't think it strange at all. BR-Tuote moderators are reflex type (this model at least) and the insert would be from 12.7mm to 15mm outer diameter(ish) so there's a lot of things to consider. In addition doubling the metal-to-metal interfaces like The tramp said.

The most skilled machinists I know are often the wariest, since they're aware of the things that could go wrong. Plus they don't accept "good enough" but strive for the best.

Third Eye Tactical Spartan mod bought for my 223 1x18 and got internals for my 204 which is 1/2 unf one mod two guns very well made too

I don't think it strange at all. BR-Tuote moderators are reflex type (this model at least) and the insert would be from 12.7mm to 15mm outer diameter(ish) so there's a lot of things to consider. In addition doubling the metal-to-metal interfaces like The tramp said.

The most skilled machinists I know are often the wariest, since they're aware of the things that could go wrong. Plus they don't accept "good enough" but strive for the best.

Actually reflex mods are a bad idea as many barrels the bore is not concentric with the outside diameter. Just ask Mr Kershaw about the high quality German .22 rifle that he cut the barrel down to fine the bore visibly off centre. The mod manufactures know this why else do you think the specify a much larger bore size through the moderator than would really be needed. It's to allow for the bore misalignment caused by the rear bushing support ;).

I was referring to the extra trouble (and source for misaligment) when threads on the moderator are somewhere inside the unit.

The problem you're describing is not related only to reflex mods. I'm not defending them, depending on use they can be a bad idea. In your example, while the barrel ID and OD are generally concentric at the muzzle (barrel being profiled between centers) the bore is not inline with the barrel outer profile. The problem this causes is also present with muzzle mounted mod (i.e. the mod is pointed slightly away from bore line), if the barrel is not being dialed in using Grizzly rods or some similar method.

At least BR-Tuote installation instructions specify that rear bushing support should have small clearance to the barrel so the mod is aligned by muzzle thread only.

Btw, I prefer the bore being left as it is ("spiraling" if only so slightly) to some other method like Sako using hydraulic presses to force the bore straight and leaving residual stress in the barrel (this in turn causing shots to wander when barrel heats etc). I'm just a hobbyist but I've cut a few 22LR barrels where the spiraling was very prevalent...

Back