Sweetbreads

pob

Whilst cutting up a fallow buck I came across a rather plump and creamy thymus gland in the neck. 'I'll eat that', I thought.
Sweetbread.jpg
(It looked better at the time. I should have eaten it earlier)

To me that's sweetbread. B*llocks are referred to as sweetmeats. The pancreas is also called sweetbread in the UK. I understand that some people make a distinction between neck sweetbread and belly sweetbread (pancreas). They certainly classify both separately on cattle in Argentina. I believe that these are more prominent in younger animals.

I went for this recipe:
  1. Soak the sweetbreads for an hour, plunge them into boiling water for five minutes, and throw them into cold water till cool.
  2. Cut them in slices, egg and bread-crumb them, dip them in clarified butter, bread them again, and fry in plenty of hot fat till they are brightly browned on both sides.
  3. Drain them, and then dish on toast, pouring cucumber sauce or maitre d'hotel sauce upon them. :confused: (No, me either)
  4. Time to fry the slices, about ten minutes.
I put a little salt in the soaking water and I didn't boil them for 5 minutes. Just long enough to get the membrane off, which isn't mentioned above, but is worth doing.

2013-03-13_23-01-16_633.jpg

They tasted like scrambled egg.

I don't like scrambled egg.:rolleyes:

I'd try them again though and I'll try to look for the Pancreas next time.

Last edited:
You're definiteley a braver man than myself. Cutting a Fallow buck up all that lovely meat and you choose to eat that crap ;).

Not yet tried it, but "ris de cerf" could be very nice.

​I do like ris de veaux, when in France. Never seen it in UK.

When I was younger and dealing with a lot of lambs
we used to call them throat breads ,
those on the heart were heart breads
and the danglers were called sweat breads

sweet breads were skinned sliced and shallow fried
throat and heart breads were also shallow fried
they went well when added to a fry up for breakfast

The video with the junior Roux and the sweetbreads is brilliant. I have only had them once at a michelin * resturant and they were wonderful. I had not thought of venison sweetbreads but the opening post has got me thinking a bit. :D

When I was younger and dealing with a lot of lambs
we used to call them throat breads ,
those on the heart were heart breads
and the danglers were called sweat breads

sweet breads were skinned sliced and shallow fried
throat and heart breads were also shallow fried
they went well when added to a fry up for breakfast

​+1 eat them regularly........lovely with some bread and butter....

Probably went a little OTT with the cooking
Little salt and pepper hot butter fry for about 90 seconds lovely
Can honestly say never eaten a pancreas if i am honest it don’t turn me on

Back