Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outbuilding humidity level for stored Rifles/Guns

Outbuilding humidity level for stored Rifles/Guns

I am trawling through information on 'desiccant dehumidifiers' for use in an outbuilding (insulated cavity walls & double glazed etc.) work-at-home-office that is also used for the cabinets and kit?

A previous post suggested 50% which seems high......

Experience(s) and advice - what to avoid etc. would be good please.

Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Use a heat mat for lizards, work a treat at keeping the air moving and warm (ish)

tube heater of about 40/60 watts,

vented cabinet at the top if more than 40 watts,

WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

50 is not high. It is actually what is recommended for museum/antique storage of firearms. I remember posting on a few threads on this in the past. So long as the temperature and humidity is fairly consistent this is what matters. If you use any type of heating that brings the humidity down you will have to watch that you don't dry out any of your wood work too much. Also putting cold metal in a warm cabinet is going to create condensation and rust. I monitor the storage of a number of modern and antique firearms and shotguns. Some are at 16 deg C and 60 percent humidity but so long as this does not vary too much and they are cleaned and oiled and not put back wet then they are fine.

Thought you couldn't use an outbuilding for storage of firearms?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Don't think you can. Best check with the FEO before you spend a lot of money and then get turned down on storage.

Hi Loki,

bought a pair of welly warmers from eBay (20) and use them in the gunsafe. Seems to work.

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    There is nothing to say you shouldn't use an outbuilding for the storage of firearms provided it has the appropriate security and meets the same requirements as the main residence in terms of not obvious from the outside, securely fastened to a wall etc. plus good locks on windows and doors. They probably will insist on a monitored alarm though - in the same way as they do for an RFD.
    Humidity is a bit of a challenge, but no more so than in a cellar for example.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Hi All
    Thank you for the replies - duly noted.

I have a hygrometer monitoring humidity as of today, with a dehumidifier in the wings should the need arise. Not sure of temperature as awaiting instrument to settle.

Outbuilding (work @ home office/workshop/reloading place (Man-Room!) has always been acceptable to TVP Service without monitored alarm etc. - just needed to make a robust case, including at renewal last year when I refused to add it to alarm system.

I have an aquarium heater which I may well use in one of the cabinets should the need arise but am concerned at the cool temperature which may be encouraging rust to start - the hygrometer will advise.........

My cabinets are in a detached outbuilding, when i moved to suffolk i discussed the situation with my new feo and since i had a good reason they were happy to allow it. my good reason was my house is approx 350 years old of "mixed constuction" so finding a wall that can be drilled into and that will hold a bolt is hit and miss to say the least, don't even consider the idea of the walls being either flat or straight - 2" varience over 36".