please help

bigadam

I am after getting into stalking and I don't know were to start I am going to do my Dsc1 once I have funds I have some land in Scotland to shoot on but it's reds and I don't know were to start I have had 2 people promise the world then once I have took them out on the pigeons they don't contact me then I have found out they have some this to others. I have been y told by police I need experience. Could any one help me I am keen and trusty worthy any help would be much appreciated I am only 22 and I know this puts alt of people off but I am a genuine guy and what you see is what you get.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Hi Adam
I think you would be better off contacting a guide in your area (John at yorkshire roestalking) or similar and doing a few outings to gain a bit of experience first.
You will then be able to show the police proof that you have been out with a reputable stalker.
The reds you have will still be there later on mate,
There are also some decent guys on here that may be able to help, maybe swap some roe stalking for a crack at a few reds with you, just do your homework first.
Sinbad

Hi Adam
My advice is to join the BDS & / or BASC & get involved with their activities local to you. That way you will get access to excellent training opportunities & get to meet the right kind of people to give you help, guidance & support.
I know lots of folks on here decry these two organizations but in my experience you get back what you give & have found both BDS & BASC helpful - especially when I've helped them.
Do your DSC 1 as soon as possible - it will give you more confidence & when you register & get your course literature, do as much preparation study as you can. Then when you get on the course you will have a head start.
Also see if there is a rifle club near you that has some stalkers as members - you may find a buddy / mentor that way.
If you can get some target shooting in using your stalking rifle (if you already have one) before the course as in my experience too many people turn up on Level one courses not knowing one end of a rifle from the other & these people really struggle in the test.
Above all ENJOY!

Ian

HI adam take it slowly get in to a shooting club & get plenty off practise .
Do the L 1 you will learn alot & meet felow stalkers who my become good frendes.
If you shoot pigeons it is like deer stalking just learn the deers habits & the weather

Den

Last edited:
I dont have rifle yet as they said I need more experience which I see as right I dont want to pull the trigger on a deer unless I feel 100percent confident I dont want a wounded red
Thanks for all the kind advice I am hopefully going on a stalk on april my first just taging along to see what the crack is cheers

Hi Adam and welcome to the SD,

You will find lots of useful information on here, some great reading in between the the usual forum talk. As the others have said, find someone in your area that you get on with and book some stalking with them. Dont feel you have to rush in as the lessons learnt now will set you up for a life time of stalking.

If you are ever down south drop me a PM with some warning and I will take you out.

Regards,

Mark

These please help threads after a couple of posts just dont sit right with me anymore..

Adam if your a genuine fella my apologies

I cant see that having said you have land either the farmer/friends, neighbouring stalkers wouldnt help you out in return for a red or better still a friendly gesture..

Sorry if that seems grumpy it just might be somebody with a couple of posts plays on the generosity of some folk on this site then sets about trying to grab the stalking rites

If thats the way you feel then its upto you I was recommended this site from a pigeon watch member and the people I have pmd with seem helpful and I will make sure I repay any one who helps me out I am not after stalking rights in the slightest I am after meeting some one or a couple that are willing to give me some experience so I can obtain a deer caliber rifle but mainly people who will show me the ropes rather than just going after reds without the foggiest and laming one I am only trying to do the right thing and do things right

Dont worry yourself too much mate, will have to learn to take things with a pinch of salt on here most of the time! Your doing the right thing.

Cheers mate

Hi Adam,

crack on bud and keep your chin up, there a few lads on here from Donny and surrounding areas Selby Leeds and barnsley, i am sure you will find someone to help you out, just be honest to both yourself and the chap who helps you out.

best of luck with it all,

by the way im the one who's family all live in woodlands and highfields and more in Leeds and Selby.

regards

bob.

As above .... I am also new to this game, ( but nearly 40 yrs older ) but through this site I have already learned quite a bit and have had found some folk really helpfull.

It will come and you will enjoy being on here too.

Good luck. Alan

I had a conversation with Adam yesterday and he seems a genuine lad. We all had to start somewhere and for me Adam's going about things the right way, with wanting to gain experience and knowledge. I'll help the lad out if I can, you never know he might be a hero at dragging :D

:thumb:good for you Lazza.
I would have liked to give the lad a hand, but have already committed myself to as many free stalks as I can justify for 2013 (two of them are for H4H).
Sinbad.

Think back. We all got help at some time or other. Just a bit more public these days with the WWW.

Back