kinetic hammer problems

stalkinginengland

Hello gents.

I have a load of 270 rounds to take apart. ( Previouse post) the problem is after 3 with the kinetic hammer my tennis elbow is excruciating. Also with the soft points they are damaged as they hit the inside of the hammer. Thats an asside the elbow is the real problem. I have not looked and thought I would narrow down my search by asking you all, is there anything else that you would recommend to do the job.

Thanks.
Mark

Re:- the elbow .................... use the other hand/arm.

Damage to the tips ......................................... if it really worries you put a pad of tissue/kitchen towel in the bottom of the screw on cap to protect the bullets tip.

The rcbs hammer has a foam insert to break the bullets fall, I have discovered that striking the hammer on a stone surface (with a cloth over it) works best, what may take one or two blows on stone takes 8-10 on wood. I use the slate flags in our porch with a thin doormat on....

I can lend you a Collet puller if you wanted to borrow one to use in your press.

Im not sure if I have a .277 collet for it so you may have you buy one they are only about £10

Pm me if you wish to borrow it.

The rcbs hammer has a foam insert to break the bullets fall, I have discovered that striking the hammer on a stone surface (with a cloth over it) works best, what may take one or two blows on stone takes 8-10 on wood. I use the slate flags in our porch with a thin doormat on....

:rofl: Perhaps mine did when it was new. However when starting out I bought a used one that had no such insert. I am still using the same one several decades later.

Sounds like a collect puller would be your best bet.

If you do put a bit of foam in the bottom of the hammer, just be sure it isn't holding/trapping any powder - or can accidentally mix up different powders when reclaiming it.

Re:- the elbow .................... use the other hand/arm.

Damage to the tips ......................................... if it really worries you put a pad of tissue/kitchen towel in the bottom of the screw on cap to protect the bullets tip.
Its in both. I can't even play darts when I get to 15 darts its painful

I can lend you a Collet puller if you wanted to borrow one to use in your press.

Im not sure if I have a .277 collet for it so you may have you buy one they are only about £10

Pm me if you wish to borrow it.

That is very kind but I may be wise to purchase one. Can you let me know a make and supplier pleas.

Mark

Make sure you have something immovable as the impact point. I used to have a sodding great big lump of hardened lead once but not long shot (literally) but a good concrete slab such as the ones used for curbs works. DON'T use the kitchen floor tiles (been there, fixed that...just recovered from the nagging) or grotty concrete as it'll crack sooner or later!

Get a collet unit: you know it makes sense! I've had one for ages and it's much easier.

TOP TIP: sometimes the bullets get stuck (military are also asphalted or shellacked in) just from age.
To fix just push them into you seating die a little bit. You'll feel the nudge and it should break any stubbornness without needing pliers or mole grips.

Back