Not happy !!!

The tramp

Had a call from an irate farmer, moaning about foxes. 'Great' is the first thought ?
The problem being, there was a metal skip (as in for scrap, not made of) in the yard, and the metal merchants rang him moaning about two fox carcasses in with the scrap, now I know for definate, I didn't put them there, and nobody else shoots near that farm, but the few I chucked into the nettles near the skip (as instructed by the farmer) aren't there anymore, just wondering who's likely to have put them in the skip, (get a few dog walkers go past) cos I've just lost that farm now by the looks of it.
Any suggestions for when I go grovelling ?

​Pete

Had a call from an irate farmer, moaning about foxes. 'Great' is the first thought ?
The problem being, there was a metal skip (as in for scrap, not made of) in the yard, and the metal merchants rang him moaning about two fox carcasses in with the scrap, now I know for definate, I didn't put them there, and nobody else shoots near that farm, but the few I chucked into the nettles near the skip (as instructed by the farmer) aren't there anymore, just wondering who's likely to have put them in the skip, (get a few dog walkers go past) cos I've just lost that farm now by the looks of it.
Any suggestions for when I go grovelling ?

​Pete

Somebody trying to stitch you up and take your shooting? Who would want to pick a smelly old fox up though most unusual indeed....

Honesty the best policy don't matter how stupid it sounds, he will appreciate that rather than a load of old row locks that smell of dead fox:D

Just tell him the truth. I don't know why he is so worked up about it to be honest, a couple of foxes in the scrap metal bin is hardly the end of the world is it.... he could tell them he was hoping to weigh in the lead! :lol: ;)

Seriously though, why on earth does he think you would you have flung them in there?

If I were you I would suggest that it's likely that somebody else had flung them in there thinking that they were being helpful.

I'd personally just be honest and say it wasn't you and you're not sure who would Put them in there, sure hope it goes ok mate

Are the scrap merchants reducing his rate because its now a 'mixed' skip ,has the driver put them in knowing that his firm will profit from the mixed skip...just a thought

Just be honest.
if he trusts you enough to shoot there, then he should be trusting enough to believe you. IMHO anyway.
Most likely some one either trying to drop you in it or a passer by found them and trying to make a point.
Good luck any way.

Tell him he gets his pest control done for free, so stop moaning,

If he wants segregated waste, he should cover your time with hard cash.

Last edited:
If the carcasses were 'hidden' in cover, is it not likely the only way they would have been found is by a dog raking about? If the dogs owner is trying to call back 'Fenton', and 'Fenton' is ignoring them in favour of the dead fox, there may be no malice in throwing the fox into the skip (when they realise what the dog has found), especially if they think the skip contents is just general waste, so that the next day the dog doesn't get the chance to play with the fox. Surely going back to the farmer and just explaining what you think has happened will sort this?

Last edited:
I'd leave it a couple of days for the farmer to cool down and then go and see him. How long have you been shooting there? Is this skip in position constantly? If so why would you all of a sudden put fox carcasses in the skip? Nettles in Feb/March, don't think so. I would imagine that these fox carcasses may have been easily seen. Who would lift a smelly fox carcass and put it in the skip. Dog walkers etc ? Doubt it. Somebody trying to steal your shooting? Doubt it, how would they know what the outcome would be. Here's my "favourite". The skip truck driver. A wee joke on his mates back at the yard who have to empty the skip. He'll never admit it cause he would end up jobless but that's where my money lies.

Could it be an excuse the farmer is using to get you to stop shooting over his land and get somebody else on? Just another thought. Good luck anyway hope you manage to retrieve the situation.

Cheers for all the replies chaps, I think that it was dog walkers, as said above, fido was too interested so they whipped them in the skip to avoid fido stinking of fox, the skip was only there for a short time as the farmer had just ripped up a load of old fencing and replaced it all, and to be fair, it never had 'metal only' on it anywhere so could have been construed as a general skip, even so, I still wouldn't put them there, I wouldn't like to be the one to have to pull them out !!! And yes, nettles, as in 'old dead nettle stalks' rather than lush green ones. I've been shooting there for 24 years, so I'm hoping I can save it, although there was a few years (8) gap due to living too far away, and skittish horses being there, but when the horses went and the sheep came back, he was more than pleased to get me back over shooting the vermin. I do know one of the residents of one of the houses who walks her dog through the farm is an anti, she's already had a moan about her dog going mad at hearing me call the foxes, so maybe her ?
Ive left it a few days, and tried ringing his landline and spoke to his wife, so he knows I want to clear it up, so I'm going to pop over after work, without any guns (to avoid 'armed trespass) , to talk to him. I have nothing to hide, but a good farm to lose, so I think I'll 'offer three options' 1, he kicks me off, at the start of lambing. 2, I carry on, and leave all carcasses somewhere pre arranged for him to dispose of, or, that I carry on, but bag up any carcasses and dispose of them well away from the farm.
Fingers crossed.

Regards
Pete

Hope it goes well for ya bud, had the same problem when i started a new shoot left first fox for the farmer to be called the next asking to take any fox i shoot away with me, thought he would of been happy to see i was doing the job, no skin off my nose just take them away now good luck.;)

Just be straight with him as 24 years has got to count for something, and then arrange a suitable place to leave the dead foxes for the farmer to dispose of.

Back