Swaro reticles

ezzy6.5

Hi All,
a couple of weeks ago I bought a Z6i ex demo for a really good price. I took a flier on it as it was such a good deal. It came with a BR reticle which is very fine. Until this point all my scopes had been either 8x56 S+B or Doctor 8x56 with standard duplex reticles. THis BR ret is very fine and there is a lot of cr*p on it. With the illumination on it's ok but I really miss my normal reticle. So, I have emailed Swarovski and they will change the Reticle for me. Should I go for a 4a or a 4a 300? or should i just save £300 and put up with the BR?

Ezzy

4a300

Wish I had gone for this rather than the ballistic turret on my z6i. You only then have to remember what range each line corresponds to

Why's that mate, I'm looking at getting the ballistic turret, but not sure?

I have only used it once in over 60 deer shot since i've had it! completely impractical for me as either it's at a range not to worry about or I just holdover on the "big bit" if it is further away. I never seem to have time to worry about it and would prefer some aiming marks to gauge holdover rather than guessing.

That's what I was thinking the time you have on some shots is ltd so hold over has to be the way to go.
thanks for the reply. Sorry for hijacking the original post incidentally I like the ret 4a.

Just for comparison i just used the swaro calculator for the BR and the 4a300 to show where the aiming marks line up at 7x zoom (what I use normally) with 6.5x55 federal SP ammo

BRreticle.jpg4a300.jpg

I would probably keep your £300 and stick with the BR after looking at that

Last edited:
Stick with the BR if you think it's something you could get used to, it's a simple system that works well. I rather like it myself.

I've got the 4a and it is just simple, for deer I can't see any real benefit in the ballistic turrets but might send mine off for them as it tends to be used a good 75% for foxing when on our ground it would be useful.

I have just got a gen 1 Z6i with 4A300 reticle, I wanted just a 4A but only this one was left. Wen I zeroed it the first line down was about 300 so why on earth would you use the other 2? I would just go for 4A unless you have use of the other lines for target shooting now and again.

I have the BR and the 4a on two Swaros and have grown with time to prefer the BR. I find it really handy for a quick sense check on range by bracketing the quarry in fading light. I was intially worried the finer reticle would 'disappear' in low-light conditions but have not found that to be the case vs. the 4a. Were I to get another I would go for BR again (or similar).

I keep the attached file on my phone. I don't use it for stalking. I've used the info once to shoot a fox. I mainly use it when I go to a range and want to shoot at 400m say or 575 yds.

​Regards JCS

I have the BR and the 4a on two Swaros and have grown with time to prefer the BR. I find it really handy for a quick sense check on range by bracketing the quarry in fading light. I was intially worried the finer reticle would 'disappear' in low-light conditions but have not found that to be the case vs. the 4a. Were I to get another I would go for BR again (or similar).

I think you made the right call I had a non illuminated 4a and I struggled under the lamp in particular with loosing the ret

Hi Stu,

Having looked through your scope at the weekend I was surprised how fine the BR reticle was compared to my 2.5 - 15 x 56 Z6i with BR ret.
My BR ret is a good compromise being fine enough for precision shooting and yet visible in low light.
I can only assume that the ret on the 5 - 30 is finer as it didnt seem to improve much even at low mag.
I quite like the 4A 300 ret. The graduations would be of no use to you when out stalking with the scope at lowish mag, but if you were practicing or testing your own loads when on 30x with a 175yrd zero then the graduations would be 300, 350 and 420 ish.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, I have emailed a retailer about a 2nd gen Z6i today. depending on what he offers me for my 5-30x50 I might do a deal.

Ezzy

The br I saw on a 5-30 was too fine, the 4a 300 is a variant of the td smith ret which I use on my pvi2, 170 zero and the bars are at 250, 350, 450 and 575 on full mag. Very useful on larger animals

Cheers Andy, I have emailed a retailer about a 2nd gen Z6i today. depending on what he offers me for my 5-30x50 I might do a deal.

Ezzy

Hi Stu,

Will cost you but probably best decision in the long run.

Good luck,

Andy.

Back