H4381 vs H4381sc

MGD

evening all,
this may be a silly question but i've had trouble grouping any boat tail bullet.
So a friend helped me develop a load using H4381sc powder with a Hornady interlock 117g BTSP.
However locally i cant get any H4831SC powder but i can get standard H4381 powder.
Would there be much difference load wise?
Hodgdon says they're physically the same powder???

ATB Matt

evening all,
this may be a silly question but i've had trouble grouping any boat tail bullet.
So a friend helped me develop a load using H4381sc powder with a Hornady interlock 117g BTSP.
However locally i cant get any H4831SC powder but i can get standard H4381 powder.
Would there be much difference load wise?
Hodgdon says they're physically the same powder???

ATB Matt

Matt Im using 4831 and the 117grn interlock in my 25-06. The only difference is in the load capacity I think, Ill be getting perhaps a 90% fill with the 4831. The short cut would have a lesser % in fill capacity. Ive just looked up the hodgdons site and they only list data for 4831, they dont list both. They say the short cut is the same but shorter grains to allow better meatering.

nutty

+1

The only difference is in the load capacity I think, Ill be getting perhaps a 90% fill with the 4831. The short cut would have a lesser % in fill capacity. Ive just looked up the hodgdons site and they only list data for 4831, they dont list both. They say the short cut is the same but shorter grains to allow better meatering.

Matt Im using 4831 and the 117grn interlock in my 25-06. The only difference is in the load capacity I think, Ill be getting perhaps a 90% fill with the 4831. The short cut would have a lesser % in fill capacity. Ive just looked up the hodgdons site and they only list data for 4831, they dont list both. They say the short cut is the same but shorter grains to allow better meatering.

nutty
so i should be ok with h4381 then thanks mate. can i ask what load your using. we made up some BTSP 117g interlocks with 51g of short cut. with a fed match primer and seated just to the bottom of the cannulure?? cheers matt

Why not shoot flat based bullets instead? Will stabilise faster as far as I understand due to greater drag around the base of the bullet

so i should be ok with h4381 then thanks mate. can i ask what load your using. we made up some BTSP 117g interlocks with 51g of short cut. with a fed match primer and seated just to the bottom of the cannulure?? cheers matt

Spooky that is!!!!! Im the same....... Im pushing 2900fps from a savage 111 with 22" barrel..

nutty

Spooky that is!!!!! Im the same....... Im pushing 2900fps from a savage 111 with 22" barrel..

nutty

im getting around an inch group atm but might have a play with powder to try and tighten it up. i didnt chorograph them. the best bit for me was i phoned a gun shop today and he has got two boxes at £16 a box.
​atb matt

im getting around an inch group atm but might have a play with powder to try and tighten it up. i didnt chorograph them. the best bit for me was i phoned a gun shop today and he has got two boxes at £16 a box.
​atb matt

I was told by 2 other forum members the 117 btsp's give better groupings when they pushed them faster. Im getting 1/2" groups which Im delighted with as my cross hairs arent the thinnest and block the bull out at 100 yds..

nutty

H4831 is just rebranded Aussie made AR 2213.
Yes, the only difference between the long & short cut is the length if the grains.

Cheers Sharkey

Edit, Sorry I should have added its all short cut now so its just called H4831/AR2213. The SC has been dropped.

Last edited:
H4831 is just rebranded Aussie made AR 2213.
Yes, the only difference between the long & short cut is the length if the grains.

Cheers Sharkey

Edit, Sorry I should have added its all short cut now so its just called H4831/AR2213. The SC has been dropped.
It is still labelled SC around here...

Back