Avon and Somerset now do AOLQ

nthor

Good News,

​Have spoken to them today about a change to my FAC and during the chat I asked if they were going to consider adding AOLQ as when I asked back in Oct 2012 they did not issue, anyway the conversation went like this "well if you had asked me Friday it would have been no but we have decided that from today we will add AOLQ"

They will amend to AOLQ as and when they re issue your FAC by the sounds of it.

That should tidy things up a little...I am up for renewal soon so will ask the question...Thanks for letting us know

Well,they have my FAC at the moment so I shall phone my FEO tomorrow to see if it will be added to mine before I get it back.

Martin

just been on the phone to check out if I would have it put on my cert and they said they are doing it automatically to all 'open' tickets.

Martin

just been on the phone to check out if I would have it put on my cert and they said they are doing it automatically to all 'open' tickets.

Martin

Cheers Martin, good to hear that - looking forward to having that changed next time I put in for a variation or anything else.

Just got home to find my renewed certificate on the door mat... and guess what.... AOLQ has been added! :eek:

Well done A&S! :thumb:

Can I ask a question about your ammunition allowance?
Has the purchase of expanding bullets also included the AOLQ wording?

in edit:
I havee an open ticket and AOLQ and humane killing of animals but Ive just noticed that my expanding ammunition condition states:

'blah blah blah in .22RF, .17HMR, .243 & 7.62/.308 calibres blah blah and may use such ammunition only in connection with vermin control (.22RF & .17HMR), deer stalking/fox control (.243) and deer stalking &wild boar (7.62/.308)

Does this mean I can shoot any other lawful quarry but cant buy bullets to use for that purpose!!

Last edited:
Having read my conditions further i think my FLD has made a mistake.

It states, for each calibre, that I may use said calibre AND AMMUNITION for any lawful quarry.

in edit:
I havee an open ticket and AOLQ and humane killing of animals but Ive just noticed that my expanding ammunition condition states:

'blah blah blah in .22RF, .17HMR, .243 & 7.62/.308 calibres blah blah and may use such ammunition only in connection with vermin control (.22RF & .17HMR), deer stalking/fox control (.243) and deer stalking &wild boar (7.62/.308)

Does this mean I can shoot any other lawful quarry but cant buy bullets to use for that purpose!!

Does this mean that you don't have what I'd considered the standard S5 ammunition condition as given in the HO Guidance? Namely:

• The certificate holder may possess,​
purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with:
(a) the lawful shooting of deer;
(b) the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;
(c) the humane killing of animals;
(d) the shooting of animals for the
protection of other animals or humans.

If indeed you don't have this standard condition, now might be the time to ask for it.

Note, however, the absence of a comma after 'other animals' in condition (d) - a good case of syntax making a difference, I always think.

Mine just says:

The holder of this certificate may possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition in calibre .17HMR, .22RF, .223, .243, .30-06 and .45-70 ammunition authorised by this certificate.

Which, I suppose, doesn't actually make sense as a sentence. :confused:

It's almost like they should have put something like "for the purposes of shooting vermin, deer, boar and any other legal quarry as authorised by this certificate"

Will phone on Monday to clarify...

Last edited:

Note, however, the absence of a comma after 'other animals' in condition (d) - a good case of syntax making a difference, I always think.

I always think it's odd that punctuation is often omitted in legal documents in general, especially in the law. It's like they want to leave themselves the wiggle room that a judge can shut down with case law at later date if they feel the need or something?!

Update:
The specific conditions relating to the rifles use are not effected by those in condition 8 regarding ammunition purchase and use

Glad thats cleared up then :)

Update:
The specific conditions relating to the rifles use are not effected by those in condition 8 regarding ammunition purchase and use

Glad thats cleared up then :)

Interesting, but I'm not sure I follow:
if your FAC says unambiguously that you may use S5 expanding .243 (for example) ammunition only for fox and deer, I can't see how having AOLQ on the .243 would allow you to shoot anything other than fox and deer unless you were not using S5 ammuntion.

The new ALQ from A&S.....................

Here is my cert back today from renewal with the ALQ added,but am I right in assuming that most people with this condition in place have 'Any other lawful quarry' and not 'Legal'? Do you think that this makes any difference as I am of the opinion that Lawful does not necessarily mean Legal especially in Law? I shall be e-mailing the FAD tomorrow to ask for a detailed explanation of the condition in writing as I feel it might be a bit ambiguous.....................any intelligent comments are more than welcome.

IMG_1789-1.jpg

Thanks Martin

Just a small point but condition number 10 is slightly out of date now. Range safety certificates have not been issued to civilian ranges for some years and that condition is normally replaced by a standard condition that requires adequate insurance instead.

Back