unusual behaviour in red hind

Looks like photo bucket does not support the vids you hav tried to upload
can't help you there as to why not
i would now look at You tube... The route I went
not the ideal way but a way that worked for me
fecking annoying I know and modern technology is not all it is cracked up to be

If I click on the attachments above they open, so now I'm totally confused!
Could some one viewing this post give me a heads up if they have managed to view the clips. thanks. Ion

Last edited:
​works for me,

not sure of the reason for movements of the hind so i will do the best i can and have a wild guess of two.

1, not sure what they are eating or what you have out to draw them in to where the camera is but i suspect that it may be dry so the hinds moving its head to allow it to move down its throat

2, my other guess would be an irritation on its back and its attempting to reach it to scratch it

looks healthy mate so i wouldnt bother to much.

atb,

I would agree with the second theory above. I have pics of a Roe buck simultaneously scratching his arse on a tree and doing this. I assumed he could not reach the itch from either end :D

Is it just my old eyes or do I detect a thickening of the throat and a swelling low down on her flank? Abscesses of some sort?

Over to the Vets I think?

keds in the centre of the back, cant reach with mouth or hoof

common in horses with an itch they can't reach

think the thickening on the flank looks more like the contrasting coat colours

Often see the hinds do this on the farm, perfectly normal behaviour. I think it is just stretching and loosening muscles but I would have to ask them to be really sure. I once saw a hind do this, twisting her neck so far round and over her back that she fell over, she looked very embarrassed when she got up.

could be warbles they are getting big now and itchy also winter coats are starting to loosen , nasal bots make them drop there heads and try to sneeze the buggers out

Thanks for the input. I meant to say that the stretching / bending shows up in a number of clips.
Video clips taken in in Irish midlands so hopefully warble fly is not a cause.
A friend looked at the clip and suggested head lice. I shot a hind out of this party at the end of february and she was in first rate condition overall, and I reckon they are all in the same good condition as her. Over the years I have come across lice. It's endemic on my fallow ground in Sligo at the moment. My landowner blames the deer for giving it to his sheep. (Under my breath I blame the woolly maggots for being the hosts !)
I did wonder if a mild case of gid could be the cause, but my suspicion is that it is simply an acquired vice. I spend a lot of my working day in close proximity to racehorses and over twenty odd years have seen every possible trait exhibited including all sorts of strange movements. The reason for my remark about deer farmers is that I would expect to see repetitive behaviour in a penned animal not in a wild one.

A friend looked at the clip and suggested head lice. I shot a hind out of this party at the end of february and she was in first rate condition overall, and I reckon they are all in the same good condition as her. Over the years I have come across lice. It's endemic on my fallow ground in Sligo at the moment. My landowner blames the deer for giving it to his sheep. (Under my breath I blame the woolly maggots for being the hosts !)

Probably neither. Lice are reasonably host specific and tend to transfer only between animals in close contact.

I did wonder if a mild case of gid could be the cause, but my suspicion is that it is simply an acquired vice. I spend a lot of my working day in close proximity to racehorses and over twenty odd years have seen every possible trait exhibited including all sorts of strange movements. The reason for my remark about deer farmers is that I would expect to see repetitive behaviour in a penned animal not in a wild one.[/QUOTE]

I'd expect it to get worse if it was did and like you find it odd that there is a vice in a free ranging animal. There may be a small brain lesion, like an old abscess from listeria or an infected tooth. It could be so small it isn't seen at PM

Back