Barn Owl

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Just had some nice down time with my other half in the local town in mid Kent, and driving back across the countryside near our home we came across a Barn owl flying at 4.00 in the afternoon. The most interesting part about it was that it was only about 15yds from our vehicle and was hunting a rough verge along the edge of a stream bed across the marsh. We followed it for about 200yds!! The sun was out (for a change) and the light off the wings and the colours were wonderful.

As usual never had my Nikon camera with me as it would have made some cracking photos. But another moment given by mother nature that money just cant buy, beautiful to watch and made the day for both of us :D.

I was treated to some cracking views of a short eared owl at the weekend whilst out stalking, the bird had no idea I was there, like you say, it's lovely what mother nature can send ours way sometimes! Always when the camera is at home though!

Lovely birds to see and very rare around me they have started to turn up but don't stop long !

Im lucky that my favourite stalking area has a barn which has a nest of barn owls every year. See the pair almost every time I go down. Not many places like that!

I swear this is a true story. Went out many years ago with an old lad after fox at night with the Lamp. He was using a Widgeon call to do a passable distress come dying rabbit style call. The lamp is off and he is giving it what for with the call and something swooped over my head, i barely heard it and said to the old lad 'what the feck was that?' He put the lamp on in time to see a Barn Owl coming out of the dark at us. The call must have brought it for a look. An amazing and wonderfull sight.

Yorkie.

Jroe
You posted as i was typing my post. As you can see it has happened to me. I thought i was the only one :D.

Yorkie.

We are lucky to have several breeding pairs on the shoot and when ever I come across anyone who's interested I can usually find at least one to show them most times of the day as we have two old barns they reside in .we had an RSPB bird count a few yrs ago and the counter didn't believe me he nearly had a heart attack when it flew within a foot of him as I opened the barn door .
norma

We have very good numbers round here and you can virtually gauruntee to see one at any time of the day. Always see them and call them in when out lamping!

Driving to Reading last weekend and my wife saw one hunting the verge/field margin and it was probably getting on for Midday!

The Fox pro is quite good at attracting owls have had lots come looking when the 'Rat in distress' is playing, i was sitting in a high seat one evening with the fox pro 'going' and an owl landed on a branch about 4 feet away i don't who was surprised the most but my vocal reaction must have scared any fox i hoping to see to run into the next county

​Andy

I think this has been the best year i can remember for barn owls ,i've had sightings on all the places i manage which is a first.Suprising given the weather ,unless the wet has somehow helped them...Like most things there are always winners & losers...

As a person who has successfully reintroduced Barneys in to the wild by both adult breeding pairs and clutch release
they hold a special moment in my heart every time I see one I have be part of or even just a wild one in the wild
yep
makes my day too
good thread , brings back lots of good memories

Saw one today around 6.30am when I was out with the dogs, flew parallel to the hedge I was walking along. We've a few in the area, but still a great start to the day.

barn owls have been a real success story arround my area in lancs and the bowland forrest area, nearly every time i go out i see one or two ,and yes they make areal bee line to the call,6 years ago you just never so them ,now there are everywere,realy great to see.

Sadly our Barn owls seemed to be first on the hit list when the Goshawks arrived,i actually found the remains of two, typical bites out of the breast bone:evil:

Quite often see them late afternoon hunting the virges on the country lanes around here, there does seem to be more activity here abouts over the last couple of years numbers are on the increase, but there again all rapters are doing well we even have perigrins now and l saw my first wild gossie last year it took a woodie on the wing and landed not 50yrds from me and proceeded to pluck the poor bugger alive nice to see but not for the pidgeon.

Am lucky having had one on the farm all winter. I guess it is roosting not 40 yards from where I sit typing this in the warm. It has taken up residence in an old brick and pantile barn with plenty of places to nest so I am hoping it breeds this year.

Beautiful birds - - I get them coming to the "Squeak" when out Foxing - - anyone else experienced the same ?

JR

Had 2 memorable moments to do with owls that I'll never forget!

The 1st being the very 1st time me and my mate tried squeeking a fox and we got buzzed by 2 rather aggresive tawny owls shrieking away!! We crapped ourselves and they really gave us a scare, lol!

2nd time was really quite amazing. My mate was laying prone waiting for some bunnies to come out around dusk and I'd mooched over to see how he was doing.

There's an old barn where a barn owl resides about 300 yards from where I stood and we'd seen him/her flying around regularly. Well, while I stood beside my mate I had a txt, so pulled my phone out and started reading it. As I did I 'felt' a prescence above me but had honestly heard nothing and when I looked up there it was, hovering not 6-8ft above my head!!!!

I whispered to my mate who looked up too and it stayed there for a good 10 or so seconds, pressumably fixed on the light from my phone!! Then, as silently as it had appeared, it flew off along the hedgeline back towards the barn!! It gives me goosebumps typing this out and will stick with me forever!!

Back