where to zero outside of Bisley in the southeast?

western woodsman

I write having been told that Short Siberia is out of action for a couple + more weeks at least for BASC members. I need to check zero as I have had to pull my stock off recently. I do not have land big enough to be approved for zeroing, but do want to have a go at the roe bucks soon. Any ideas for zeroing in the Southeast around London that is not Bisley?

Phiz from Viscount Stalking has a zeroing range near Haywards Heath that you can book a session on - he's on here as "phiz" or his contact details are on the site if you google "viscount stalking"

There is more too Bisley than short siberia.

It will not be accessible to anyone tuesday-friday now as CNC have sole access. But they have made or are making more range space available else where on the camp.

Speak to the range office and then get basc too book for you.

Short Siberia was open this Sunday, and probably most weekends, the Range office will know.

Why don't you go to where you have permission to shoot and set up your own range? All you need is some plywood, stakes, nails, a target and a safe backstop.

Thanks for the above leads, I will send out feelers. What is the CNC at Bisley? About my own land, this has been cleared for highseat stalking only as it is pretty small and heavily populated around with houses, so there is no luxury of my own range effectively.

​If the opportunities are closing down even further at Bisley for zeroing, how can stalkers get on? Can BASC do something about this?

Why don't you go to where you have permission to shoot and set up your own range? All you need is some plywood, stakes, nails, a target and a safe backstop.

Why not do this 'from your high seat' !

Moose

Thanks for the above leads, I will send out feelers. What is the CNC at Bisley? About my own land, this has been cleared for highseat stalking only as it is pretty small and heavily populated around with houses, so there is no luxury of my own range effectively.

​If the opportunities are closing down even further at Bisley for zeroing, how can stalkers get on? Can BASC do something about this?
CNC= Civil Nuclear Constabulary, they have paid a large amount of money to have exclusive use of SS tuesday to friday, as a result of this the NRA have had the ability to start to make long needed improvements, starting with SS, they are also starting a series of improvements to Century to accommodate people who wish to shoot at 100/200 during the week and cannot use SS, BASC can't do diddly squat about it unless they wish to match/exceed the financial input from CNC, there are no losers in this as far as I can see, as the facilities will be improved for all, with minimal disruption and no extra cost to the occasional user.

CNC= Civil Nuclear Constabulary, they have paid a large amount of money to have exclusive use of SS tuesday to friday, as a result of this the NRA have had the ability to start to make long needed improvements, starting with SS, they are also starting a series of improvements to Century to accommodate people who wish to shoot at 100/200 during the week and cannot use SS, BASC can't do diddly squat about it unless they wish to match/exceed the financial input from CNC, there are no losers in this as far as I can see, as the facilities will be improved for all, with minimal disruption and no extra cost to the occasional user.
Okay thanks for the update! If the facilities are being improved then the money talks. If Century works during the week great-once it is ready. Still it is very hard to shoot a rifle in the southeast of England. We need more ranges, underground, purpose built or otherwise.

Okay thanks for the update! If the facilities are being improved then the money talks. If Century works during the week great-once it is ready. Still it is very hard to shoot a rifle in the southeast of England. We need more ranges, underground, purpose built or otherwise.
no arguments from me on that :D

It’s not likely to happen anytime soon. Not particularly because people are opposed to shooting, but more because there isn’t much available land and it’s not an economically viable use of what there is. I don’t know of a single new range that’s been opened around the South-East for years. All the university ones were closed down in London as buildings and sports facilities were refurbished or replaced. At my old university, they demolished the old sports centre with the indoor range and didn’t include a new one in the plans, pretty much because given the available space, they thought there were better uses for it. They were probably right, unless of course you take the view that the purpose of universities is to educate students and that this includes providing them with opportunities to try new experiences that they wouldn’t otherwise have access to. But that’s just my own pie-in-the-sky outdated hippie view of things.

They could of course open the one in the Houses of Parliament to the public.

errrrmm, where do the army train ? There is a fair few military ranges in the south-east. Try approaching some of the local clubs who use them to see if they will allow you to shoot as a guest, then zero then.

But, you have taken your stock off, and ? If its a free floating barrel, then the return to zero, assuming it is a good wood/metal fit, should be pretty darned close, I take my stock off all the time, a quick shot to confirm its ok, and carry on.

If your land is small, then I'm guessing most, if not all of your shots are under 150yds, so even at worst case, it's 1moa out, it's still only an inch and a half at 150, still well within a 'kill zone'.

I'd be tempted just to put a small, A4 sized target up where your average distance is from your highseat, and confirm from there, in real world conditions, rather than spend time and money going to bisley and shooting prone at 100yds.

If you get the target 100yds from your highseat, you should only need one shot to confirm, or two if adjustment is needed, assuming your scopes click values are actually what they should be and your rifle can throw an accurate cold bore shot.

Regards
​Pete

Back