Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 advice

4x4 advice

I am buying a 4x4 for towing quad bike & lugging shooting kit and would like a bit of helpful advice .

Car will do 2000 miles a year and will not be main car , Must be 4 door , automatic , full monty spec and not fussed about fuel costs . will not go extreme offroad but must manage farm tracks , mud & snow .

Choices are 2004-2007 vintage

Freelander HSE either 2.0td or 2.5V6 , not sure about rear door opening with trailer hitched up

Nissan XTrail 2.5 SVE

Jeep Grand Cherokee

any input from users of the above with any pros & cons or any known faults would be appreciated

Bigger the better so Jeep would be my choice.

Merc ML's can be had for sensible money ,especially the v8 petrol versions.

Had a Merc ML with all mod cons and it was superb both on and off road and as R8 user says since you will not be doing a high mileage V8 petrol versions can be had for reasonable money. A LR Range Rover may also be an alternative but reliability may be an issue.

any thing with land rover on the bonnet is best left in the car showroom!! from my experience.

From your selection I'd go jeep , R8 user is right , bigger is better

had a few jeeps over the years,all the bells and whistles and good off road

I learned to drive in my maternal grandfathers 1964 Jeep CJ-5 . I also owned a CJ-5 or two of my own over the years . So I am a Jeep person of sorts !

I am a Jeep person that lkes the Jeeps made from 1946 until about 1966 . CJ-2A , CJ-3A , CJ-3B , CJ-5 and CJ-6 .Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee of 1996 vintage and while it was a nice enough station wagon and snow cummuter on the highway it was not what I would call an off road vehicle .

I have no idea what the Nissan or the Freelander look like .
    If it were me I'd be more inclined to get a nice used HiLux 4 door and you can carry the ATV in the truck bed !
    Thats what I do with my old circa 2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2 Ext cab 4x4 , I can just fit my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4 in the back with the tailgate down !
    GO Manny Pacquiao !!!
    Doubles , 6.5mm' s , 444 Marlin's , cast bullets , Sika Deer and the Philippines

Avoid the freelander for a start,, totally crap..

For the use you mention, I would buy a SWB Pajero

Hilux Surf ticks the boxes

Avoid the auto box on the jeep, expensive problems are common at 60,000 miles, as I have just discovered