Head shots on FSTV

Whenever I see these threads on FSTV I think "don't look it will only make you angry." But sure enough I look at the thread, and then I think "don't click the link it will only make you angry." But I do anyway, then I think "don't watch the video it'll only make you angry." An then for some reason I watch it anyway. I always have the same feeling at the end of it and its always "why did I bother?" I really don't understand the appeal of any of these programmes. To me it's just puff and wind. To top it all off now I am commenting on it!

For the record

I should also add that I did not have a problem with the other head shots just the close up. I would not want to watch it again. Perhaps I am getting too soft. I feel that clip was blood and gore for the sake of it and served no purpose.

I totally agree, can someone explain to me why this is useful footage to anyone? How is it educational to a newcomer to the sport or someone trying to learn more about stalking?

Sorry but somethings are best left off the tube.

If head shooting is the order of the day then fair enough but please, no need to run it in slow motion. I can hear the sniggering from here which just comes across as blood thirst.

A few times now i have quested the antics of FSTV. most is ok and some. behind closed door.

I would love to have heard the comments from SD members should mr Harford had done this and not mr Lupton ,I think the fact RL did it makes it a bit more exceptable to watch on FSTV .RL is as we have witnessed an excellent shot and does get a lot of practice in ,but as an educational type video I dont think it holds much worth as everything went according to plan .as anyone that has done park culling will tell you sometimes it does not and this video won't show that . I think RL and FSTV thought hard about the making of it and although not as enjoyable as "wild " stalking showed a side to deer management that goes on in parks up and down the country .
Norma

Hhmmmm, I havent watched this episode yet, just because of being too busy, but I will watch it tonight....:scared:
Here in Germany headshots are really uncommon and seen as very risky.
Also my butcher (its not only him thinking this way) doesnt like to work with venison from headshots, because he prefers venison from proper bleeded out animals. (Just his explanation.)
I see and respect hunters who do, well trained and used to shots like this, and take headshots, but is there really a need for shots like this?
Is there this much wasted venison on a shoulder shot?
With the right caliber and bullet, there shouldnt be any problem with the shot reaction also...
So, whats the point, except of a horrible desaster, when a headshot goes wrong....?
As usually, just my personal opinion, nothing to offend well experienced hunters proceeding like this.....

Well as someone who only head shoots I must say I feel is it more humane and they NEVER move, let alone run. How many of you head shoot rabbits? I have seen the film, thought it was well put together and gave plenty of warning about what was going to happen.

Well as someone who only head shoots I must say I feel is it more humane and they NEVER move, let alone run. How many of you head shoot rabbits? I have seen the film, thought it was well put together and gave plenty of warning about what was going to happen.
All I can say is you've been lucky then ! I too have head shot wild and park deer but not been as fortunate as you in "never" not had one mess up .
regards
​norma

Guys

Even as a game dealer i only head shoot on non park deer only occasionally, i know my rifle inside out with the loads i use however I only head shoot at up to & not beyond 100m.

I also only ever take those shots in low wind & if I have the benefit of a real good support in addition to a preferable elbow rest also.

Much as the game dealing side of me would like them all head shot I would say that they only represent about 15% of what I myself am shooting or what we get through the plant.

Yes its a very graphic business, the time it managed to turn my cast iron gut was when Woody my now deceased old GSP went 50m ahead of me to a dead fallow doe that had been head shot & when I got down there the bugger was licking out the brain cavity-nasty!:drool:

In a limited capacity I feel its fine for those that are experienced enough.

Regs lee

Last edited:
i cant see the problem with this,if you dont want to watch some thing then dont ;)
why watch some thing you know will upset you,then complain about it:doh:
antis are antis end of,it does not matter what we say or do they will be antis,so why the hell try and please them all the time,sod them is what i say i could not care less what they think.

as for it not being shown,why?? there was some interesting information on there that a lot of people may want to see.
dictating what people should not be able to see or do because you dont like it makes you as bad as the antis;):cry:

Back