Shavesgreen. Please give feedback to get Shavesgreen's tstalking channel going

teyhan1

Taken a few years back.
Thought it might give Shavesgreen a few ideas about video.
Not advertising as I vowed to never take Karsten (Skagbag) stalking ever again and Premier hunting went out of business

Teyhan i really enjoyed that and felt it was done with Taste but felt some good old blues music would have finished it off.

Far too long. Ruthless editing required. Just because you have a lot of lovely footage doesn't mean you have to show it all. Interminably.

Self indulgent.

Otherwise OK.

Far too long. Ruthless editing required. Just because you have a lot of lovely footage doesn't mean you have to show it all. Interminably.

Self indulgent.

Otherwise OK.
This is for Shavesgreens benefit, not mine. I've had this video for 8 years now and never aired it before.

I appreciate you showing the video, shame my Danish is not what it should be! Everything helps and the project is coming along nicely. Teyhan1 PM me to chat about some ideas, thanks.

I enjoyed watching it purely to be reminded of what sunshine looks like - also now looking forward to 1st April even more.

At various points in filming there was light artifact (not using a lens hood or being aware that it will occur) sometimes this is required artistically but here it got out of hand, particularly later in the video, use of auto focus (lazy, although these have improved on more modern cameras), freehand recording where the shot required tripod (filming street scenes while panning), framing issues (operator obviously not using viewfinder or viewing screen - suspect was more interested in the stalk that using the camera), and where instead of a video mount was used they had a photographers still camera mount (friction type, where smoothness is lost during panning or tilting), and when action was occurring all these combined to produce terribly amateur looking footage, to the extent that the camera operator lost all sense of zoom when the rifle shots were being made, or hit the record button by mistake and stopped recording at a vital moment. Camera placement at times is poor, there's one particular instance where the camera has moving bushes in front of the stalkers, who gradually move away into an obscured position, not only that the auto focus starts looking at the foliage rather than the diminishing figures of the stalkers that moved to that position. There wasn't enough zoom on the camera, and likely because the wrong mount was in use, this caused too much editing to remove the camera wobble from the friction mount, it interferes with the extremely distant shots of deer. As no plan was made to communicate with the shooter via radio (using a headset and ear piece) as to which deer he was selecting, this would have helped the camera operator. I also think the staged crawl towards the camera operator post stalk was a bit corny, I'm not sure many would think sitting through that was good.

I'm unsure of the music used, but it should be noted that its all copyright, and you need to purchase Worldwide Licensing, or use Licence Free Music, since it can be viewed anywhere on the Internet.

There's also some issues with editing, I suspect that almost all the footage was used, when instead there should have been a focus on perhaps a storyboard before filming, to determine the type of shots required to get all elements of the hunt across to the viewer. Also its better to pause the video frame for a few seconds during editing than use a still photograph taken with the same camera at the time of filming, since the view will have changed. One last thing, its much better to use software frame stabilisation during editing than merely deleting sections of video to avoid camera wobble, and fading these in together. This fading is ok to use where lets say a long walk is filmed, and a large section can be cut and the two sections faded, but it was used so extensibly that it was obvious to anyone that has used a camera what had happened during filming, and the solution used in editing. There's even better ways to link such things together, you wouldn't want to continually use the same technique every time, as it gets predictable, and boring.

I suggest from watching the video that the filming was all done with a single consumer camcorder at least ten to fifteen years ago, and that today, there's a much greater and cheaper range of camera technology available, including wearable cameras and microphones, those that can be mounted on a rifle and/or able to record the view through the telescopic sights, and that in addition to a camera operator following behind the actual stalk at close range, that a second camera operator could follow at a greater distance from a different angle, using a greater magnification lens, this would also help during editing, since having so many recordings, nothing would be missed, and it would create opportunities for continuing the story rather than relying on a single camera or recording. Radio communications would also be essential to allow the camera operators the opportunity to properly frame the beast that is being considered, and the commentary from the stalkers would allow the viewer to understand the selection criteria for the beast, and also the reasons why a shot is not taken during recording.

I just think looking at the video posted here by teyhan1 is very useful, it shows so many clear examples of what to avoid, I'm sure shavesgreen will study it in some depth, and I hope my constructive comments are useful too.

Last edited:
At various points in filming there was light artifact (not using a lens hood or being aware that it will occur) sometimes this is required artistically but here it got out of hand, particularly later in the video, use of auto focus (lazy, although these have improved on more modern cameras), freehand recording where the shot required tripod (filming street scenes while panning), framing issues (operator obviously not using viewfinder or viewing screen - suspect was more interested in the stalk that using the camera), and where instead of a video mount was used they had a photographers still camera mount (friction type, where smoothness is lost during panning or tilting), and when action was occurring all these combined to produce terribly amateur looking footage, to the extent that the camera operator lost all sense of zoom when the rifle shots were being made, or hit the record button by mistake and stopped recording at a vital moment. Camera placement at times is poor, there's one particular instance where the camera has moving bushes in front of the stalkers, who gradually move away into an obscured position, not only that the auto focus starts looking at the foliage rather than the diminishing figures of the stalkers that moved to that position. There wasn't enough zoom on the camera, and likely because the wrong mount was in use, this caused too much editing to remove the camera wobble from the friction mount, it interferes with the extremely distant shots of deer. As no plan was made to communicate with the shooter via radio (using a headset and ear piece) as to which deer he was selecting, this would have helped the camera operator. I also think the staged crawl towards the camera operator post stalk was a bit corny, I'm not sure many would think sitting through that was good.

I'm unsure of the music used, but it should be noted that its all copyright, and you need to purchase Worldwide Licensing, or use Licence Free Music, since it can be viewed anywhere on the Internet.

There's also some issues with editing, I suspect that almost all the footage was used, when instead there should have been a focus on perhaps a storyboard before filming, to determine the type of shots required to get all elements of the hunt across to the viewer. Also its better to pause the video frame for a few seconds during editing than use a still photograph taken with the same camera at the time of filming, since the view will have changed. One last thing, its much better to use software frame stabilisation during editing than merely deleting sections of video to avoid camera wobble, and fading these in together. This fading is ok to use where lets say a long walk is filmed, and a large section can be cut and the two sections faded, but it was used so extensibly that it was obvious to anyone that has used a camera what had happened during filming, and the solution used in editing. There's even better ways to link such things together, you wouldn't want to continually use the same technique every time, as it gets predictable, and boring.

I suggest from watching the video that the filming was all done with a single consumer camcorder at least ten to fifteen years ago, and that today, there's a much greater and cheaper range of camera technology available, including wearable cameras and microphones, those that can be mounted on a rifle and/or able to record the view through the telescopic sights, and that in addition to a camera operator following behind the actual stalk at close range, that a second camera operator could follow at a greater distance from a different angle, using a greater magnification lens, this would also help during editing, since having so many recordings, nothing would be missed, and it would create opportunities for continuing the story rather than relying on a single camera or recording. Radio communications would also be essential to allow the camera operators the opportunity to properly frame the beast that is being considered, and the commentary from the stalkers would allow the viewer to understand the selection criteria for the beast, and also the reasons why a shot is not taken during recording.

I just think looking at the video posted here by teyhan1 is very useful, it shows so many clear examples of what to avoid, I'm sure shavesgreen will study it in some depth, and I hope my constructive comments are useful too.

Thank you, I'm sure Shavesgreen will appreciate your comments on what to avoid. To me it's just a video but if it can help someone then I'm happy to have posted it

Back