pulsar ns 550

Hello,

It absolutely depends on which IR illuminator you are using.

The N550, like many other NV devices can be quite heavily reliant on a good IR source particularly in low ambient situations such as cloud cover or not much moon.

With the onboard LED IR I would say 100m recognition, however with a quality IR such as the Nightmaster NM800IR you could comfortably say 150m.

After all 150m is an awful long way at night.

If you are considering buying, remember the new N750 is out now and very much an effective upgrade. On paper detection range of man sized object in ideal conditions up to 600m effectively means with something like an NM800 a useable safe foxing recognition range of 200+ and in good conditions we can spot foxes out beyond that considerably.

Lots of people talk about detection ranges and with the N750 using on board laser IR you "may" see a larger object such as a fox at longer ranges but not comfortably to identify and take a safe shot at anything like the manufacturer claimed ranges which refer to an object 1.7x0.5 meters; in normal nighttime conditions - 0.05 lux (quarter moon)

Recognition ranges or real life useable ranges do differ so be aware you WILL want to upgrade the N550 IR for anything beyond useable 100m

Paul

Last edited:
One question regarding these sights, if they were to be used with a 1 million cp lamp with IR filter in place would this be as good/better/worse in comparison to the on board illuminator or the aftermarket ones like an NM800?

i have one on a 243 and i would say 100 yards with the pulsar 940 is ok.i may try a nightmaster 800 next to see if it improves it.

bornfree

One question regarding these sights, if they were to be used with a 1 million cp lamp with IR filter in place would this be as good/better/worse in comparison to the on board illuminator or the aftermarket ones like an NM800?

I use a n550 fitted with a doubler with a striker lamp and ir filter mounted ontop. I can see further than I would ever shoot at night with my .223, took a lamp shy fox at 221yards Thursday night across some marsh land before it had chance to wind me. Dont take many over 200 yards but more than capable if need be.

so the performance with the N550 seems to be dependent to a large extent on the IR source. Are folk using additional hand held scopes as a spotter or are you using the N550. I am weighing up whether to get a handheld NV scope to spot then turn on the lamp or an NV rifle sight. I guess without a spotter bait stations would be a good idea.

so the performance with the N550 seems to be dependent to a large extent on the IR source. Are folk using additional hand held scopes as a spotter or are you using the N550. I am weighing up whether to get a handheld NV scope to spot then turn on the lamp or an NV rifle sight. I guess without a spotter bait stations would be a good idea.

As with any Digi give it plenty of IR and you are there, stay away from the 940nm stuff tho, look for around 780-850nm this will improve your picture no end.

been using the n750 which i know is a bit different, but with the scope alone i can see much futher then i would shoot, your ir is the important bit for clear shooting , but to much can be as bad as not enough, i got the nm800 to go with the scope but as yet i have not needed to take it out the box.i use the scope to scan the shooting grounds and stop to shoot as i sweep around."not best pratice i know" but with maybe as many as 10 shoots per stop would be up and down with handheld and rifle and end up dizzy. the area it shoot is never pitch black dark and only had the scope a few weeks but for now when its dry i am out there and happy with how it works , what i can see, and the amount of rabbits i can carry of the land

I use a n550 fitted with a doubler with a striker lamp and ir filter mounted ontop. I can see further than I would ever shoot at night with my .223, took a lamp shy fox at 221yards Thursday night across some marsh land before it had chance to wind me. Dont take many over 200 yards but more than capable if need be.

I have had a look through this setup above and was blown away by how clear it was.
shame really as now I have something else to save my pennies for!!

Back