tyre opinions

Pirate hunter

Getting some new tyres for the landy,im looking at either bf goodrich AT or the MT,i just want to know how much noise difference there is from the MT compared to AT,and if they wear as well as the AT.

Tyre size would be 265/70/16 if that makes much difference.

Thanks

​Andy

It'd have to be mud terrains for myself Andy I've all terrains on at the moment and don't rate them very highly at all although their not bf goodrich.

Big thing to me would be how many road miles as opposed to off road miles. my longest road journey in the last week has been 10 miles each way but I would have been across fields every day.so road noise would come a long way down my list of worries look at it that way and you answer your own question.

I have BF Goodrich All Terrains on my 4x4 ( bought them about 3 or 4 years ago ! ) - wouldn't go past them !

Only just replaced the front two. No 'road noise' that is noticeable. Great on road and off-road and last for ages ! Recommended.

:thumb:

Big thing to me would be how many road miles as opposed to off road miles. my longest road journey in the last week has been 10 miles each way but I would have been across fields every day.so road noise would come a long way down my list of worries look at it that way and you answer your own question.

Im doing a lot of miles driving to stirling and back twice a month or so,thats why i asked about the noise difference and wear.

Andy

The AT is a fantastic tyre. The MT is now the KM2 and fairly aggressive but built to be good on the road in all aspects. But the crucial question is - what do you want them to do? The AT is actually better in the snow than the MT. If you get into the mud proper then get the KM2, but for everyday use there's little that beats the AT and as for noise, really, there isn't any. Fact is that if you go with a wider tyre the nise is marginally better. Get some 235's for example then it's like running on the balls of your feet. I'm running 37.5" monster muds at the moment and I don't notice the noise at all really. It's more about the quality of the tyre rather then the tread. BFGs are top rubber.
I met a guy with a Disco who got 107k miles out of his ATs on motorway driving.
C

When I had a def 90 I ran both of these at one time or another both are very good but the nod go's to the all terrains especially for longevity on the road. !!!!!!

Im doing a lot of miles driving to stirling and back twice a month or so,thats why i asked about the noise difference and wear.

Andy

Used to run At's on my 4x4 when I had one they were ok went to Oban once a month from here as to wear i put up with it better than the hassle of getting stuck on wet grass:doh:

These aren't what you've specified mate, but i run my 110 on Michellin XZL's 7.50R16's. They look like this on the wagon:

Def_110_PU_Michelin_XZL_zps455e7136.jpg

Before i had these i was a died in the wool BFG A/T man. Wouldn't go back to them now after having these. Lots of mileage, and good deep tread pattern. Can't hear road noise much over engine noise to be honest. :)

As a side note, they were the standard tyre for the MOD wagons for many years, now they're mostly on the heavy WYMK's and the Goodyear G90's are on the lighter Wolf Defenders. They were also tyre of choice for the Camel Trophy for a few years as well i believe.

Last edited:
There is a significant difference in offroad performance with the MT's compaired to the AT's, depends on the kind of ground your going over. With the MT's you pretty much have to belly it to get stuck, the same can't be said for the AT's.

Not really answering your post but I curremtly have 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolandar MT on my defender, great off road and not too bad on the road however, if I did alot of road miles regularly I'd want something with better road holding such as BFG AT.

IMG_2070.jpgGood advice already - it does depend on primary use. MTs will wear more quickly than AT and be noisier - But I know I would have got stuck on more than one occasion without MTs
​Atb

These aren't what you've specified mate, but i run my 110 on Michellin XZL's 7.50R16's. They look like this on the wagon:

Def_110_PU_Michelin_XZL_zps455e7136.jpg

Before i had these i was a died in the wool BFG A/T man. Wouldn't go back to them now after having these. Lots of mileage, and good deep tread pattern. Can't hear road noise much over engine noise to be honest. :)

As a side note, they were the standard tyre for the MOD wagons for many years, now they're mostly on the heavy WYMK's and the Goodyear G90's are on the lighter Wolf Defenders. They were also tyre of choice for the Camel Trophy for a few years as well i believe.

I run these tires on my S2a one set has last 12 years lots of off roading and road driving, my old 110 work van was running round on a set of AT called Enduro they are made by Dunlop really good tread pattern , half the price of the BFG and last twice a long, my truck was alway fully loaded very very quite.. My other 110 that I just sold was running BFG which I would never buy again, they just wear out so quick..

Get an good tread patern AT and your wont go far wrong.

I'm on my third set of BFG MTs on my 110 county. I do about 15 k miles per year and the BFGs have averaged 70k miles before they needed replacing. I cannot hear the noise they make over the normal noise of my landy and they are great in the mud.

I have BFG AT's on my Disco and cannot fault them. As others have said, no noticeable road noise, have been great off road on wet grass, mud, snow etc and low wearing too. Been on a couple of years, do about 20k a year and still plenty of tread.

I had a Jeep years ago and put General Grabber AT 2's on that, at the time they were slightly cheaper than the BFG's but I found them ok, a softer compound, which I was told would help with the 4ltr's power.

I also have the XZL's on a Series 2, again a great tyre, low road noise and great off road.

Back