Just had my stalk ruined by................

Monkey Spanker

I reckon this could be one of those posts that keeps re-surfacing!!!

Not this morning, but last night I went off to a local wood on the edge of town. I can only really shoot from a high seat in there for safety reasons. I quietly stalked to a central high seat which is actually on a footpath with two shoot lanes cut on the other side of the path into the wood. There was a lovely roe buck in velvet along with a young roe doe already in the left-hand lane! They either winded or heard me and sliipped into the small strip of wood between the two lanes. Climbed into the seat and waited for them to re-emerge so as to cull the young doe. All was looking good!
Then, I heard some movement and began to mount the rifle on the shoot rail expecting the two roe to re-appear.
Imagine my surprise when two young lads strided out into the shoot lane instead!:eek::doh:

Evening ruined, but a good reality check as to why I need to be very careful in that wood!

I've had numerous previous stalks ruined in the same wood for a multitude of reasons, including a 4 man armed response unit with supporting police helicopter!
What's just ruined yours?????
MS

once on a new permission i had got into position well before first light, just as its breaking light i heard a jeep coming up the lane, i was not sure what was going on. the hilux drove into the middle of the field and proceeded to blare his horn repeatedly,:eek:. at this stage i stood up and walked over, how you doing he says, not so bad says i are you feeding stock, no i,m trying to scare the deer. needless to say that was another blank

That is one to get you thinking MS

My initial thought along the what if scenarios was safe shot/ back stop but exited at an angle..

For me its usually been sat there watching the deer, just about to take the shot and a deer comes haring through picking up the rest with a dog off the lead in hot pursuit :cry:

2 years ago I was out with the rifle,I put a target up for a zero check,I was shooting from cover back up in a little spinney about 250yds from the target,fired 1 shot and I heard voices,there was 2 idiots on mountain bikes riding down into the valley towards my targets,nowhere near footpaths :doh:

Tree planter comes driving up behind up on the track when we're 50 meters away from the firing point stalking deer on clear-fell, and seeing us gets out of the vehicle parades about a bit then sods off, what a knob

Had a similar happen after I had just shot a munty in a private wood a man appeared with dog ,I posted how shocked by his appearance I was on here and was bombarded with a multitude of stupid answers .i sympathise with you as a stalk ruined is a pain .good luck with some of the answers you get back ! I personally think private is private if someone deliberately goes past signs saying so and lets dogs stray and chase deer as I have witnessed just lately deserves a telling off .thing is these days people think right to roam is to roam on all land private or not .rant over
​norma

You name it its happened. Best one a mate & myself were on our patch, he had arranged for an AW to meet there for one of his DSC2 Stalks. I told him where I had seen a doe on a regular occasion but it was his call where he wanted, I'd take second pick. Sure enough he spots said doe, gets rifle on sticks, safety off & waiting for the doe to present a good shot. Then beep beep a message on his phone reminding him he could get 2 for 1 on orange Wednesday. Doe made off stalk ruined

once on a new permission i had got into position well before first light, just as its breaking light i heard a jeep coming up the lane, i was not sure what was going on. the hilux drove into the middle of the field and proceeded to blare his horn repeatedly,:eek:. at this stage i stood up and walked over, how you doing he says, not so bad says i are you feeding stock, no i,m trying to scare the deer. needless to say that was another blank

Hah....Priceless!!

​Who was it the scudd? Presumably not the landowner otherwise you would not have been allowed in the first place.....

Last year, during the last week of the Roebuck season I went for an evening walk with the dog and rifle. It was one of those "nice" October evenings, still warm enough to wear a T-shirt, almost no breeze whatsoever and the makings of a lovely sunset.
I wasn't really looking for deer and had really just picked up the rifle and a few rounds just in case of bumping into a fox, anyway I was headed back to the car down the side of a stubble field when I spotted from the corner of my eye a buck 2 fields away feeding along a hedge towards me. I could clearly see that he was a buck and checking through my scope I could see he was an old, very big 6-pointer, whom I had never seen before. I decided, since I'd never seen him before (I am usually aware of good bucks) that I was definitely going to shoot him, so I hastened to close the distance as subtly as possible without alerting him. I crawled my way with dog and rifle along a bit of a ditch running toward a gate near to where the buck was feeding and upon reaching the gate I peered round to see the buck in some dense bushes eating away happily. I knew that when he came out from the bushes he would, for a moment, be broadside-on for the perfect chest shot, with plenty of backstop and all that so I set up the bipod and prepared myself. He was at this point about 150yds away and I was very confident that he was "in the bag"
All had gone brilliantly well up until this point and I was seconds away from pulling the trigger, when.........I heard the unmistakeable sound of motorbike engines coming into earshot.......It must have been half a mile away when I first heard it, but it soon got louder and louder until, it became obvious that they were headed straight for us along the dirt track behind us. The buck, mostly obscured from view, stuck his head up with his ears pricked, listening to the noise getting louder from the bikes so I quickly tried to put the crosshairs onto his neck but by this point it was too late, and he burst into action, sprinting off down the field jumping over a hedge and out of sight,:doh: a few seconds later the motorbikes came along behind me and rode on to wherever they were going.....completely oblivious to how much disappointment they had caused me.
I went back there at every available opportunity for the remainder of the season but I have not seen this buck since that tragic day! I hope he's still around somewhere nearby and not yet been run over by motorcyclists.

An elderly woman squeezing out a number 2 under my highseat oblivious to my prescence. Used a dock leaf too, the dirty old faggot :eek:

Someone taking a shot in the next door wood. Happened to me twice during the rut last summer. Game over for the day both times.

An elderly woman squeezing out a number 2 under my highseat oblivious to my prescence. Used a dock leaf too, the dirty old faggot :eek:

:rofl:Comedy!!!
You should have fired a shot off just as the 'turtles head' appeared!:lol:
Would it have made a hasty retreat,......... or bolted like a rabbit?
MS:D

I gave a wood up a few years back because of the amount of people that would take it upon themselfs to use it as a short cut into the nearby village it was a bloody nightmare.
I currently have the stalking on the land around a wood looked after by the woodland trust with a 100% public access (you know the one MS) and even though it is clearly signed to stay away from the farmland poeple obviously cant read l have many stalks ruined there, again a bloody nightmare, you do get used to peoples routines and movements and learn the best times to put in an appearence there but l still get caught out.

Similar experience was waiting for a fox on my mates estate set up in the wood near one of his release pens all camo'd up sat on an earth bank when a guy came walking towards me with his terrier
as he came closer and closer i realised he hadn't seen me he was now 15 feet from me when he was almost within touching distance i said good evening to him

I have never heard a grown man squeal like that before he absolutely sh*t himself and took off we never saw him again wonder why :D

Back