unbeleavable shots

Conh

what is the most unbeleavable shot you have ever been herd of ?? it normally consists of an armchair hunter using a .22lr shooting at half a mile at somthing like a red stag and hitting it in the head :p im starting this thread after someone telling me last night that in the 1950s his grandad knocked several pigeons off a fence post 300 yards away out of his kitchen window with an open sighted air rifle , he then got offended when i started sniggering at him :) sounds like a bloody good shot to me :lol:

A hare at 704 metres with a .243.......some of the longer-standing members might recall!:old:

Last edited:
Not a shot, but in the same realm of outright delusion: just got back from a bitterly cold and futile fishing attempt, during which a passerby told me he'd caught a 9lb salmon in that pool right there (with a 3wt, of course).

He was very defensive when I asked how he thought it had got over the 2 impassable wiers downstream...

Was having a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea at the local clay ground with my mate. We were listening to some bloke telling a group how he tends to head shoot his rabbits at 250 yds+ with the 22lr and how his mate head shot a roe earlier that morning free hand at 550 yds paced out.

Funny thing is he couldn't work out what we were laughing at.

Stu

Somebody bought a field a few years ago off a farmer where I shoot,this person also has cf rifles,he told a mate of mine he has shot 3 muntjac in this field,I've shot the ground all around this area for nearly 15 years and haven't seen one yet :-|

True story, out wildfowling near Annan where the duck come in thick and fast on a high tide I had a miss on high tide at last light and duck were suddenly everywhere bouncing off the water and flying about in all directions. A few mallard came over head and I fired both barrels at them getting one and out of nowhere a moment later this teal landed stone dead right at my feet, didn’t even see it when I let go both shots or could guess which direction it had been going. I felt a big bad about it at the time...
Once got a fox at over 300 meters on a windy night up on the hill that had been a problem dog fox, I aimed well off to the right and a fair bit high. Never every admit to the guy holding the lamp it was a fluke, til this day he thinks I’m that good :lol:

what is the most unbeleavable shot you have ever been herd of ?? it normally consists of an armchair hunter using a .22lr shooting at half a mile at somthing like a red stag and hitting it in the head :p im starting this thread after someone telling me last night that in the 1950s his grandad knocked several pigeons off a fence post 300 yards away out of his kitchen window with an open sighted air rifle , he then got offended when i started sniggering at him :) sounds like a bloody good shot to me :lol:

A bit like the story of the old guy telling a tale about an old side by side that had been behind the kitchen door for 50 years.
He once shot at a mass of crows on the fence posts at the side of the field and killed 99! When asked why he didnt just say 100?
He said " and be made out to be a liar for the sake of one crow!!!"

:thumb:

A hare at 704 metres with a .243.......some of the longer-standing members might recall!:old:

Do you think this is not possible? There are loads of videos on Youtube showing similar shooting.

My mate shot a hare at 888yds , first shot from a cold barrel. It is possible and there are plenty of long range shooters out there .........................check out Uk Varminting or UK Long range websites....

a chap told me today he nailed a magpie at 680 metres with a 22-250 with 75g a max.
not sure if to belive it or not as its almost on the boarder of reality.

Do you think this is not possible? There are loads of videos on Youtube showing similar shooting.

My mate shot a hare at 888yds , first shot from a cold barrel. It is possible and there are plenty of long range shooters out there .........................check out Uk Varminting or UK Long range websites....

Oh, it's certainly possible but the vast majority of the folks that go round boasting about these "achievements" are full of ****e.

The funny thing about distance is that people always think that it is much further out than it actually is, I'm not saying that long shots don't occur they most certainly do, it's just the exaggeration that's usually a little bit out.

​George.

I killed 4 pinkfoot geese with one shot with my 10 bore with home loaded Hevi shot, I fired at the lead bird in a small bunch of pinks I killed three outright and the other one retrieved quickly and dispatched had plenty of doubles before but never four and never done it since.......

The funny thing about distance is that people always think that it is much further out than it actually is, I'm not saying that long shots don't occur they most certainly do, it's just the exaggeration that's usually a little bit out.

​George.
I think George is right a large part of the problem especially at night is some people have no idea of distances. A good mate of mine and no bull****ter kept telling me he'd shot foxes at this, that and the next ranges. When i eventually went out and lamped with him I couldn't bring myself to tell him he was pretty much doubling what i would consider the distances to be.

On the other hand I had to listen to a tosser for an hour last month who amongst other things said he had got his cross rifles badge at age 13 by shooting a 2 inch group at 1000 yds :rofl:.

What about the guy who tells you about his wonder shots at foxs and rabbits and the storey ends with "I shot it in the eye " why the eye ? .perhaps just in case it's not dead it can't see and you could shoot it again perhaps ? It always seemed to be the eye though .
​norma

I killed 4 pinkfoot geese with one shot with my 10 bore with home loaded Hevi shot, I fired at the lead bird in a small bunch of pinks I killed three outright and the other one retrieved quickly and dispatched had plenty of doubles before but never four and never done it since.......

ha ha, I did something very similar on geese flying down the tide line in strong wind with my 10 and 63 gram 3's but I missed the bird I was going for and cut 3 out of the skein line behind it then I shot another!

so chuffed it was unreal, it was raining geese!

nothing skillful in missing but being lucky!

It was more likely a rook rifle or some such!!!

Back