Really mad!!

jimbo1984

Just say down at work to have a quick read of the paper and on page 19 of the express is an article about how gamekeepers ( and apparently them alone) are poisoning birds of prey! Apparently 60 dogs and 28 cats have been killed by this method in the last decade too!! Where do they get this crap????

Haven't read the article, but sadly the first part is still true.

I won't post the links to open your eyes, but it does still go on, there are bad apples.

Combined statistics (deliberate and unproven) poisonings of birds of prey in Scotland were 233 in 2010, 237 in 2011. Those were the ones where the bodies were found, and tested.

Confirmed deliberate poisonings 32 in 2010, 16 in 2011.

Most recent conviction of a gamekeeper, for poisoning buzzards, was January this year.

Be really mad ! that there are people still doing this.

I know there's one or two bad apples but the article mahes out every single gamekeeper kills birds of prey and it's only keepers alone who are responsible for poisoonings

I do sympathise.

ISTM the old skool will eventually disappear as time marches on.

As will their employers who directly or indirectly still encourage them in their old ways.

Lets hope so.

Muir, with respect, your observation is of no relevance to the situation here. Different thing altogether.

Last edited:
Muir, with respect, your observation is of no relevance to the situation here. Different thing altogether.

If you say so.
No worries. I fixed it.~Muir

(And hey! Maybe this thread doesn't belong in the Equipment area to begin with??)

Last edited:
If you are reading The Express, what do you expect? Fecking rag.

The only paper in the UK that gives field sports a fair hearing is the Telegraph.

If you are reading The Express, what do you expect? Fecking rag.

The only paper in the UK that gives field sports a fair hearing is the Telegraph.

The Yorkshire Post is VERY good, they had our very own John Robson on the front cover of the farming section last week!

Wasnt my paper gents it was my mates I'd already read the shooting times! Lol and sorry it's in the wrong section it's on the iPhone

I know there's one or two bad apples but the article mahes out every single gamekeeper kills birds of prey and it's only keepers alone who are responsible for poisoonings

The text is below. The article doesn't claim this at all. However, who else would lay poisoned baits out for raptors? Can you suggest other suspects who might have a motive?

Pets killed by the bird poisoners

PETS are falling victim to a bitter war being waged by rogue gamekeepers against spectacular birds of prey.
By: Stuart Winter
Published: Sun, March 24, 2013
2Comments
Some 60 dogs have been poisoned by gamekeepers in the last decade
Baits laced with an illegal pesticide to kill eagles, falcons and hawks have left families devastated after their pets were poisoned.
New figures show 60 dogs and 28 cats have been poisoned in the past decade, along with hundreds of rare protected birds of prey, by the hunting and shooting set wanting to protect their game birds. The favourite weapon of unscrupulous gamekeepers is the poison carbofuran, which is so deadly a quarter of a teaspoon can kill an adult and close contact can cause sterility in men.
Over the past decade more than 250 protected birds such as golden and white-tailed eagles, peregrine falcons, red kites and buzzards have died and there are fears a child could fall victim if they touch bait. Although carbofuran is outlawed, its continued use in the countryside has blown up into a political row. Today the Government is criticised by the Opposition and conservation organisations over ministers’ failure to take wildlife crime seriously.
Critics say that not enough is being done to deter criminals from using carbofuran, nor is there enough support for the National Wildlife Crime Unit which has made bird-of-prey persecution a priority.
A recent MPs’ report on wildlife crime called for tougher penalties for using poisons and “vicarious liability” so landowners as well as gamekeepers are prosecuted if they kill birds of prey.
Peregrine falcons are just some of the protected birds that have been killed
Every year threatened species are killed illegally, putting some species at a great risk. Martin Har¬per, of The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
The punishment for using carbofuran is an unlimited fine but there are growing calls for a hefty jail term. Shadow Environment Minister Tom Harris said: “Failing to address the financial insecurity hamstringing the National Wildlife Crime Unit is deeply disappointing.

The text is below. The article doesn't claim this at all. However, who else would lay poisoned baits out for raptors? Can you suggest other suspects who might have a motive?

Pets killed by the bird poisoners

PETS are falling victim to a bitter war being waged by rogue gamekeepers against spectacular birds of prey.
By: Stuart Winter
Published: Sun, March 24, 2013
2Comments
Some 60 dogs have been poisoned by gamekeepers in the last decade
Baits laced with an illegal pesticide to kill eagles, falcons and hawks have left families devastated after their pets were poisoned.
New figures show 60 dogs and 28 cats have been poisoned in the past decade, along with hundreds of rare protected birds of prey, by the hunting and shooting set wanting to protect their game birds. The favourite weapon of unscrupulous gamekeepers is the poison carbofuran, which is so deadly a quarter of a teaspoon can kill an adult and close contact can cause sterility in men.
Over the past decade more than 250 protected birds such as golden and white-tailed eagles, peregrine falcons, red kites and buzzards have died and there are fears a child could fall victim if they touch bait. Although carbofuran is outlawed, its continued use in the countryside has blown up into a political row. Today the Government is criticised by the Opposition and conservation organisations over ministers’ failure to take wildlife crime seriously.
Critics say that not enough is being done to deter criminals from using carbofuran, nor is there enough support for the National Wildlife Crime Unit which has made bird-of-prey persecution a priority.
A recent MPs’ report on wildlife crime called for tougher penalties for using poisons and “vicarious liability” so landowners as well as gamekeepers are prosecuted if they kill birds of prey.
Peregrine falcons are just some of the protected birds that have been killed
Every year threatened species are killed illegally, putting some species at a great risk. Martin Har¬per, of The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
The punishment for using carbofuran is an unlimited fine but there are growing calls for a hefty jail term. Shadow Environment Minister Tom Harris said: “Failing to address the financial insecurity hamstringing the National Wildlife Crime Unit is deeply disappointing.
Hw about the part where it says 60 dogs have been poisoned my gamekeepers? And calls keepers unscrupulous ? That's hOw it reads To me

Last edited:
Hw about the part where it says 60 dogs have been poisoned my gamekeepers? And calls keepers unscrupulous ? That's hOw it reads To me

Suggest you drop it.

Certainly 60 dogs have died. Bare minimum.

My partner wardened peregrines in Yorkshire Dales when they were so threatened, don't get me started, you will lose.

Back