not feeding to well

tonto

hi looking for some help.
been reloading .243 federal rounds with 87gr v max.
hodgdon 380 powder seems good groups shot a few deer all dropped on the spot.
but having trouble feeding from the mag remington 700 any idea's

thanks from stephen.

There are people that swear they have never had feeding issues with a short action double stack mag or drop plate.
I have never seen one feed 100% reliable. Had a Howa that was ok but not 100%.
The only permanent solution is to change to a single feed point mag like an AICS. This means changing the bottom metal.
Before you go that drastic you might try adjusting the spring. Might help somewhat.
edi

There are people that swear they have never had feeding issues with a short action double stack mag or drop plate.
I have never seen one feed 100% reliable. Had a Howa that was ok but not 100%.
The only permanent solution is to change to a single feed point mag like an AICS. This means changing the bottom metal.
Before you go that drastic you might try adjusting the spring. Might help somewhat.
edi

Nonsence, drop plate fixed magazines are very reliable hence the reputation of the 98 Mauser action for dangerous game. Unfortunately Remington occasionally have some problems achieving the same standard normally because of poor manufacturing tolerances.

Establish that it is the rifle that is at fault first of all and not the reloads that are causing the problem. Do this by trying the same loads that you are having problems with in another rifle to see if they will feed, and also try another type of bullet in your rifle. I have heard that sometimes in some .243 rifles the V-Max bullet can be a bit of a problem but that this can easily be resolved. If it is clearly established that the problem is with the rifle and not the ammo come back and explain it to us, and perhaps someone can give you a possible solution. It might just be a problem with the spring or it may be a burr somewhere in the feed lips.

Last edited:
Read on German Forums, Mauser do not have a good rep for feeding, especially not in 8x57, 308.
It is a fact that double stack will not feed as reliable as single or central feed.
If you are happy with the odd mis-feed and you regard that as reliable, well then OK. Not me.
I prefer reliable feeding...100% not only mostly.
Therefore I also changed my mauser to single feed.
Long action cartridges or long narrow cartridges have less problems which is logic. Hence the rep for dangerous game in Mauser.
Try feed PPC or BR cartridges, the shorter and fatter the more problematic.
You cannot ignore mechanics.
edi

I've seen far more feed problems with detachable magazines than ever with a properly designed fixed magazine. In fact some detachable magazine systems are of such poor quality that misfeeds are quite common. PPC and BR cartridges are something different altogether,some of them were not designed to be fed from a magazine but were designed mainly on the basis of their ballistic advantage and accuracy.
I agree with what you say though about possible feed problems with shorter cartridges than the rifle was designed for initially, and that generally longer cartridges work best in longer actions. I wouldn’t describe the 8x57 as being a short round though and am not aware of any real feed problems with this cartridge in a K98.

ok muir sorry bit new to this.
the remington has detachable mag feeds ok with federal but not my reloads. i have been just neck resizing as there only for my gun.
i have lee deluxe die set should i use full length resizer.

That suggests that it's not a problem with the rifle then but a small issue with the reloads.

the remington has detachable mag feeds ok with federal but not my reloads. i have been just neck resizing as there only for my gun.

Have you been chamfering / de burring the necks?........ I have seen a chaps reloads giving problems feeding because of the squared lip on his cases, (catching in the ramp area, & some not chambering as well).

Well. Then you have your base line with the Federal cartridges. Start by making your cartridges as close to the Federals as possible with regard to external dimensions. Alter one variable (like length) at a time until you run into problems. Speaking of length: They do fit cleanly into the magazine, correct?~Muir

hi finnbear270.
no not sure that iv'e chamfered all the reloads thanks i'll load some and give them a try.

yes they fit the mag OK I've just started seating the bullets a little deeper,
But that doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have 4 Mauser actions in long short and mini format (270, 243 and .222)
The only time I have ever had a feed issue was when trying to load one up the spout silently and my thumb knocked the round off the extractor claw and it slipped in the chamber by itself!.

big difference between a double stack fixed mag box and controlled feed action (M98)
compared to a double stack removable magazine system in a non-controlled feed (Rem700)

neck sizing over Fl sizing should have no effect on feed. I neck size everything

where is the problem?
in the bolt pick up/push?
In the ramp as the round is pushed up?
In the bolt chambering or closing?

Edi's opinion that only a single stack magazine could possibly feed cartridges reliably is frequently voiced but is contrary to the experience of many.
Someone should tell both my Sako PPCs that they don't feed reliably as they seem to have missed this perceived wisdom and feed reliably. All the time.

20-250, just open your eyes!
how many threads about non reliable feeding of double stack short action mags/drop plates are there every week on forums...
vs non feeding single stack?
It is a fact that it is much more complex to try and feed cartridges alternating from left to right vs being able to set up central.
Single stack mags feed more reliable in most cases.

I never said "that only single stack magazine could possibly feed"... why are you trying to put this in my mouth, what are your intensions with this? Who are you?
please PM

edi

Edi,
i have no need to PM you, but you need to open YOUR eyes.
Lots of double stack mags feed perfectly, yet every time anyone mentions a feeding problem on this or another forum, you regale us with the tale of your Sako which wouldn't feed.
Sako have made tens of thousands of rifles with double stack mags which feed perfectly.
I appreciate that you have lots of experience with different rifles, but with all due respect, you're not the only one.

20-250, do you build rifles?
do you have to take back rifles that don't feed? do you have to stand over your products and guarantee function?

By the way, several Sako owners have problems with the feeding of their double stack short action rifles, I wasn't the only one. Not much
alternative products out there to convert Sakos.
Why did Tikka opt for single stack, why did Sako A7 opt for single stack?? to many complaints in the US maybe?

Yes, many double stack short action mags work, but many do not. The design will lead to higher ammount of malfunctions.
We replace double stack magazines every week with single feed because customers have problems. This is not a cheap
alterntive and customers would not invest if it were not needed.

edi

also check your oal.

to short is just as bad as too long,

also watch the cycle closely and in a safe place IE: using live rounds pointing down range etc,

you will be able to watch the load cycle with the ammo that works, not how it flows out then up to the rear of the chamber and then in,

do the same with the problematic ammo/homeloads, this can show you where the problem is or at least you will see whats wrong and work it out from there.

regards

bob.

Back