Bore Snakes!

J o h n

Are bore snakes any good? I have heard that they can damage the crown on rifles, Is this a myth and should a bore snake only be used to clean in the field.

Have a look at this...it goes on and on...and on.

Rifle Cleaning Advice

BTW I've seen wear from military pull throughs but I use them on my 22 Ruger 10/22 and my Uberti 357 Winchester. I'd not use them on my proper rifles...

Most of the guys I've met who say to toss bore snakes sell expensive one piece, caliber specific cleaning rods. I have never seen a speck of proof that they harm bores when used correctly. I have seen rod wear in barrels.~Muir

I use one and its great for getting the loose crud and any moisture out of the barrel, quick squirt of vp90 cleaner and a pull through and all bar the copper fouling is gone. Shotgun its all mine ever sees takes minutes so gets done every outingwhich has to be better than just cleaning properly occasionally.

Most of the guys I've met who say to toss bore snakes sell expensive one piece, caliber specific cleaning rods. I have never seen a speck of proof that they harm bores when used correctly. I have seen rod wear in barrels.~Muir

I agree, many years gone by have seen people pull cleaning patches through barrels on string, apart from the small brush what's the difference? ( For cleaning using a solvent I would still use rods)

John

If you have a mod on that rifle, keep it on whilst pulling the snake through, keeps it square to the crown. Sorted :)

Regards
​Pete

4,000 rounds later and my 308 t3 still shoots like the day it came out of its box and this after all the plinking ammo crap I've thrown through it. The rifle is pulled through before and after use and after every detail when range shooting after all it takes what? 20 seconds?. Nothing else and no solvents, magic sprays, fairy dust or bs..... you decide how you clean your rifle. It's your choice how quite you wear it out.

The secret is knowing that the metallic residue left behind after a few rounds you fire actually helps protect your barrel. The most destructive time for your rifling and bore is when it's 'clean'.

edit

I only use a soft microfibre patch pull through, bore snake in an emergency or if there's a bit of grott then the soft one after.

Last edited:
got to agree with Paul and tramp.

i have been using bore snakes for years, on the odd occasion i will clean with a bit of hoppes number 9, other than that its the snake.

but also remember what tramp says. leave the mod on as this will prevent the snake from catching the crown on the way out if pulled at a angle,

regards

bob.

Agree, how can a piece of string damage your rifle!?
Used them on all my rifles after an outing whether fired or not for years without a problem, then they get the full clean every six months if they're lucky!

got to agree with Paul and tramp.

i have been using bore snakes for years, on the odd occasion i will clean with a bit of hoppes number 9, other than that its the snake.

but also remember what tramp says. leave the mod on as this will prevent the snake from catching the crown on the way out if pulled at a angle,

regards

bob.

Do you mean that that woven cloth will wear the crown away? or the brass brush woven into the cloth? In either case, probably won't happen without some real effort to do so deliberately. I have a hyper accurate custom .223 -so accurate that I don't think that I've found out how accurate it really is- and all it's ever been cleaned with it a bore snake. Still touches the .1's occasionally but the .2's are getting pretty common.~Muir

I came across this when looking for proof one way or another worth a quick read.

You're not trying that out on my Krieger...
Did it once on a 22LR Browning lever gun that I discovered had been ring bulged...worked a treat just prior to it getting "skipped" for something more sensible.

I got desperate enough with the 17HMR to do some polishing...
CrowningKit_Small.jpgRe-crowned_Small.jpg
You should not need to do that to a good rifle but it cut the group sizes by 50% to something sensible (<1/2" at 50 yards) from a little worse that a 10/22 running stock ammo...

Last edited:
Bore snake is fine. Pull evenly as you bring it through. And pull it strait up as you pull. If you drop it in the mud wash it BEFORE you use it to clean your rifle. Other than that how can it hurt? Really!

Do you mean that that woven cloth will wear the crown away? or the brass brush woven into the cloth? In either case, probably won't happen without some real effort to do so deliberately. I have a hyper accurate custom .223 -so accurate that I don't think that I've found out how accurate it really is- and all it's ever been cleaned with it a bore snake. Still touches the .1's occasionally but the .2's are getting pretty common.~Muir

Hi M.

I only say the bit about the mod as there is so much s,h.1.t said about them damaging the crown that it annoys me. so to save any come backs i say leave the mod on etc etc.

bob.

ps:

when in the forces i used a pull trough for many many years on all small calibres, and the only rods i ever used where on larger cals such as.

.30 cal and 50 cal machine guns, 30mm, 76mm and 120mm main armaments.

Back