Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scope???

which scope???

Hi there all i know you have all heard this question a hundred times before but which scope do i choose?
    Im currently in the progress of getting my licence and have decided on my rifle (browning x bolt .243) just a scope now !
    it will be mainly for foxing/stalking. Also what magnification? i was thinking of 12x50 or so and either zeiss or nightforce but to be honest i would like some tried and tested advice!

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Your scope needs to suit your needs. 12 mag is almost certainly too much for woodland stalking. Many like the simplicity of a 8x56 for its magnification and light gathering properties - but there's nothing wrong with variable mag.
    Much of the advice hereafter will be related to the budget you have for the scope. I would advise buying better quality second hand than cheaper first hand. You will need to look through some of these scopes to help you make a decision. I happen not to like the Zeiss coatings as for me they make everything quite blue - I know others who don't like Swarovski for a similar reason. One thing is certain - if you buy good glass, it will not loose you a lot of money and it will stand you in very good stead.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

All depends on the type of stalking you want to do buddy myself I prefer to use s&b 8x56, I would say that a 12x50 would serve no purpose for general stalking activities.....

Hi there Eric cheers for the advice, i will probaly being doing a range of stalking hopefully all kinds woodland and hill, but i will be also doing a good dose of foxing, so will illuminated reticles be a must? Sorry if i sound amateur im just trying to gather as much information as possible. My friend has swarvoski on a .243 with a fixed mag and for the money it cost i was bitterly disapointed, i was looking to spend around 1000

Nr Newport (shrops)
    zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 illumanted rec, good for woodland and open hill and a great illumnated dot

I personally use an 8X56 S&B and most stalkers seem to go either for the 8X56 or the 6X42 and I suspect there is a very good reason for that. Many people with variable scopes seem to keep them constantly set somewhere between 6X and 8X. I also believe that many people who shoot foxes go the 8X56 route. I've never used an illuminated reticle and I shoot most of my deer in dark commercial forestry at last light. They might be nice to have but all I can say is that I don't need one.

As said above don't overlook the second hand options. If you have a budget of 1000 you could buy some top notch second hand glass in a fixed mag scope for 400 or less and that would leave you 600 to spend on stalking which would nearly pay for a week at red hinds. That is an easy choice to make as you get the best glass for the job plus you get a week at hinds and the only thing you lose out on is paying for full page colour adverts in in the shooting magazines :-)

My personal view is that Nickel and Zeiss are currently making the scopes with the best glass. S&B and Swaro have adequate glass and I've never needed any more. I believe Nightforce is very popular with some Americans, I've only played with one on one occasion and it would not have been suitable for shooting sika at last light.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

Hi there 223 thats the scope i have looking at and my friend has just put one on his tikka t3 lite so will be defo having a look!
    Is that a xbolt i see there in your thread pic?

Hi they caorach thats good sound advice, i will defo look second hand and think about saving me some money to spend on quality stalking!

I dont think that an illuminated reticle will benefit you or your needs. All the guys that i know who own illuminated scopes seem to have them purely to aid their driven shooting ability, when across the pond shooting driven game. 95% of the time they do not bother with the illumination facility of the scope.
    Thats not to say that others dont need them, but I dont think they are in any way essential, personally never having found the need for one.
    They are a good aid, however, for those that have rather less than perfect eye-sight, particularly at last light, helping to focus an aiming point on the target with greater ease.
    I would suggest you go and try one mate, being the only real way to make up your mind.
    Also, +1 on the zeiss Duralyt, Illuminated or not.

Meopta artemis unbeatable for the money and toughest scope about, 4b reticle is superb i,ve had them for years and also used zeiss Duralyt for past 2 years but just sold it and got another Meopta(3-12x50)