Jelen Advanced deer management

defender

I have just completed the Jelen Advanced Deer Management Course and would highly recommend this course if anyone was thinking of doing it. It was three long days but the course material, training and facilities were all excellent and presented by some very knowledgeable people who were all happy to share their experiences, both good and bad, I also learned a great deal from the other people attending the course who ranged from numptie (me) to a number of deer management professionals. All in all a great three days and I would like to thank all the team at Jelen and all the other guys, and gal, on the course.

All the best,

Martin

I have just completed the Jelen Advanced Deer Management Course and would highly recommend this course if anyone was thinking of doing it. It was three long days but the course material, training and facilities were all excellent and presented by some very knowledgeable people who were all happy to share their experiences, both good and bad, I also learned a great deal from the other people attending the course who ranged from numptie (me) to a number of deer management professionals. All in all a great three days and I would like to thank all the team at Jelen and all the other guys, and gal, on the course.

All the best,

Martin

Who were the instructors? And what were their backgrounds?

"Who were the instructors? And what were their backgrounds?"

Yes that would be interesting to know as three days is a rather short time to get across and take in all that is required to reach the standard of 'Advanced Stalker'
I was also under the impression that the old Advanced Stalker course was now called the 'Deer Managers' course !

I attended the same course. I too thought it was excellent. The course was lead by Mike Allison, director of Jelen Deer. Mike has 30 plus years experience in the deer management industry. He had guest speakers who were experts in their field: Dominic, a woodland manager and Paul who is head park manager at Hampton Court.

The course covered key subjects such as the impact of deer on biodiversity, population modelling, methods of protecting woodland, population estimation, impact assessment, writing a management plan, culling to achieve specific objectives, ageing deer on the hoof and post mortem using teeth growth, managing park deer, diseases in deer, deer farming and live capture. There was a field trip Led by Dominic and Peter, a woodland manager on a large local estate, where we were shown damage caused by deer. Finally, there was a marksmanship test and an exam.

I learned a massive amount over the last three days and my head is still buzzing. The training environment was really friendly and the delegates were a pleasure to be around. If you want to learn about deer and deer management then I highly recommend Jelen Deer's Advanced Deer Management course.

ATB

Barry.

Last edited:
I also attended this course, not only was it very intense (positively) but also very enjoyable. The lecturers were clealy knowledgeable and it was great to meet those who are currently managing well known estates and support this scheme.

Just to add; there are 14 home study assessments that count towards the final exam. So a lot of home study and research prior to turning up. It certainly isn't a turn up and pass course...

I would highly recommend this course to anyone, experienced or not loads to learn, especially in all three fields; wild, park and farm...

Ben

Out of interest, did the shooting test follow the same format as that used on the BDS Deer Managers course? And, if so, did everyone pass?

9 shots:

Shot 1 - 150m - optional, prone or high seat
Shot 2 - 150m - optional, prone or high seat
Shot 3 - 100m - high seat
Shot 4 - 100m - Sitting or Kneeling using fencepost for support
Shot 5 - 100m - Any position, not using fencepost (any normal stalking aids permitted)
Shot 6 - 75m - From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. When commanded you have 15 seconds to take shot from the kneeling/sitting position (sticks or bipods permitted).
Shot 7 - 75m - From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. On command you have 15 seconds to take 2 steps forward and take the shot using the fencepost for support from the kneeling/sitting position (sticks or bipods permitted).
Shot 8&9 - 50m - 2 rapid shots. Rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. On command you have 20 seconds to take 2 shots from any position except prone (sticks or bipods permitted).

The target is a black score ring on a black target - see the BDS website for the roe silhouette.

Your rifle must be zeroed beforehand - no sighting shots allowed.

You are allowed two attempts as follows. If you fail the 150m shots you can have a second attempt to pass. If you don't pass the 150m shots you can't progress further. If you need a second attempt to pass the 150m shots you are only allowed one attempt at the 100m-50m. If you passed the 150m shots the first time you are allowed 2 attempts (if necessary) at the 100m-50m shots

To give an idea, on my course out of 12 students who attempted the shooting test (there were 4 or 5 who chose not to take it), only 4 passed first time without the need for a re-attempt. 2 failed the shooting test.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
It was a bit simpler than that. Silhouette targets out to 150m. Killing shots required. One head shot required on a target of the RO's choice with a follow-up killing shot within five seconds. I don't know how many passed the shooting other than I did.

It was a bit simpler than that. Silhouette targets out to 150m. Killing shots required. One head shot required on a target of the RO's choice with a follow-up killing shot within five seconds. I don't know how many passed the shooting other than I did.

Thanks for that, interesting to know.

Although personally I don't take head shots I've seen them used very effectively, particularly on park deer. I like the idea of the rapid follow-up shot as well - that's a nice variation to include.

Would be good to see the full spec for the shooting test at some point - maybe to use for practice elsewhere.

​willie_gunn

12. I don't know how many passed because we haven't been told. The papers have got to be marked and sent off to be validated.

It didn't feel that simple with my frozen hands in that biting crosswind!
Being fairly new to rifle shooting I found the idea of the 150m in a 20mph plus cross wind and the 5 second follow up with no warning moving from head to chest with frozen fingers both challenging but passed ok, actually doing a lot better than I had hoped having only just bought the rifle and having only put four rounds through it prior to the course.

Martin

Being fairly new to rifle shooting I found the idea of the 150m in a 20mph plus cross wind and the 5 second follow up with no warning moving from head to chest with frozen fingers both challenging but passed ok, actually doing a lot better than I had hoped having only just bought the rifle and having only put four rounds through it prior to the course.

Martin

Martin

Well done! Shooting in those conditions, and with people watching, is far more stressful than being out on the range firing a few shots, so you should be justifiably happy with passing.

willie_gunn

Jelen Deer - Advanced Deer Management

Is this a attendance course, or a training course, an assessment, or distance learning, or an essay assessment post-course, or a mashup of all these things ?

How much "candidates of this course will also be able to experience live deer stalking from high seats, provided a satisfactory standard of marksmanship is achieved during training" actually happened ? Any extra fees ?

TBH why would any suitable attendee not be expected to already have such experience ?

What is the end product of the course i.e. what bit of paper is the tangible result ? Who would recognise it, nationally ? (I understand who "Lantra Awards are, and what they do).

If there is a pass/fail criteria, then what are the arrangements for re-test etc. ?

Just a few questions that occur to me.

Martin

Well done, but given your limited experience I am puzzled why you decided to attend an "Advanced Deer Management" course. What were the acceptance criteria ? :confused:

Martin

Sorry, I meant that the course of fire was simpler than the one quoted by Willie Gunn. I was freezing too.

Jelen Deer - Advanced Deer Management

Is this a attendance course, or a training course, an assessment, or distance learning, or an essay assessment post-course, or a mashup of all these things ?

How much "candidates of this course will also be able to experience live deer stalking from high seats, provided a satisfactory standard of marksmanship is achieved during training" actually happened ? Any extra fees ?

TBH why would any suitable attendee not be expected to already have such experience ?

What is the end product of the course i.e. what bit of paper is the tangible result ? Who would recognise it, nationally ? (I understand who "Lantra Awards are, and what they do).

If there is a pass/fail criteria, then what are the arrangements for re-test etc. ?

Just a few questions that occur to me.

Probably best getting in touch with Jelen Deer if you're interested in doing the course.

Well done, but given your limited experience I am puzzled why you decided to attend an "Advanced Deer Management" course. What were the acceptance criteria ? :confused:

Thanks.

I attended the course because I have an interest in and want to learn all about deer and their management and because of my limited experience and knowledge felt that attending a course would benefit me greatly. I was not disappointed, I learned more in those three days than I have learned in the last year of stalking and avid reading. I am not aware of any acceptance criteria but as the course is about deer and woodland management and not about stalking per se I would not think that acceptance criteria were warranted. Of course deer management involves culling and this aspect was covered, hence the shooting test, but my interest in this course was in learning about all of the other aspects of deer management like the impact on biodiversity etc. etc. etc.
I have not been lucky enough to have a mentor to teach me these things, the closest my father got to the country side was the back garden for a fag, but in all I do I am keen to learn as much as I can and I personally find that I gain from structured learning that I can then apply in the field.

Atb

​Martin

Back