how do you transport dogs/deer ?

cervushunter

At the North Devon Show just over a week ago a bds member on the their stand told me that a dog should not be transported with a deer carcass where cross contamination can occur.

I have a hi-lux double cab and two spaniels who are no good as deer dogs at all :eek: well only at eating the bits i dont want :lol: so these animals do not accompany me on stalks.

I understand what the chap was saying and agree , I am however looking for a dog to train solely for deer work , but i am reluctant to let any dog ride with me in the truck once i have a carcass in the back. Now i quite often take my quad and trailer so the carcass could stay in that, but that is not ideal in that the quad is hot when loaded in the trailer and it is then covered.

I can get around the problem but i am curious what others do !!

Thanks cervushunter.

stand buck,

Hi yes ok for the roe, but i shoot mainly red and sometimes have two or three carcasses at a time.

Also if this access to a deer dog is going at some point to become "a must have". This might become more of an issue. I CAN get around contamination but what do others do who might not be as lucky as i (quad, trailer, double cab, large garage etc)

Just put the deer in an open try and keep your dog to one side whats the problem not a good idea to cover the deer for any length of time as it will cook in its own heat and that would be worse than having your dog sniff at the carcase.
politically correctness will have us all not stalking and soon.
Keep the carcase as clean as you can but Christ don't go over the top.
No one in this country has ever died of food poising from venison. ;)

WG

Bang on. Speak to lintran in Market Rasen. I have an Isuzu pick-up with a cab on the back. My two labs have a cage in the back, then a tray which will easily carry a couple of fallow. Simple. Of course if you are a proffessional hunter gatherer then you could get a refrigerated trailer to go behind the pick-up for all the carcasses.

Hi Mark
How are you mate knowing the size of the buggers you shoot I see your problem, if it was me I would have the dog in the cab and Andy sat in with the deer :D :lol: :lol: but then again he might be worse than the dog :rolleyes:

sorry mate couldn't resist ;)

You would want a big pickup for a lintran box and half a dozen reds???
Maybe some ventilation on your quad trailer???? I think it is nearly impossible to follow the guidelines to the letter you just have to do your best at the time :rolleyes:

Atb Wayne

Ok Wayne,

We are just about to set off for launceston for the weekend, reds have been showing in good numbers with a couple of stags with them.

The exmoor deer are up in numbers with alot more calves about this year i will save some for you and Andy ;)

See you in a couple of months

Hi Mark
Looking foward to it mate, let me know how you get on and think of me when I'm sat at work 7 days a week at the moment. ;)

Wayne

bucksden , only in america :!:

i would love to try that here but i fear you might get a totally different reaction. :lol:

Wayne, i was sat up a tree only thinking of you playing with my buttalo when a roe buck came running up underneath the seat but did not present itself for a shot :cry:

Saw several deer and my mate ,len ,shot his first deer after many months of trying, well chuffed for him. :D

Speak soon.

cervushunter

Here's how i transport my deer and dogs

Buckfromhorseshoe12thmay07.jpg

I have an Isuzu crewcab pickup 2007 model. So much the same as your Toyota.

My Bavarian dog is in a Lintran dog box whilst travelling to the stalking area. Once there the box comes out for him to sleep in. Coming back from stalking he is in the back, the deer are in a plastic sheet. Todd does not touch them at all. Going home from the area he is back in the box and the deer are either in the back wrapped in muzzlin cloth, or depending how many shot, I have been known to tie them on the quad and cover them over with a tarp>

You could always build or make a trailer to put the deer in and tow it behind the vehicle. Or change your dogs :lol: (only joking mate) ;) sorry!!

ATB
Sikamalc

Back