No more shooting in the Netherlands?

Holland&Holland

Today 3 left wing political parties did a proposal to end all shooting in the Netherlands. They will very probably be backed by the Political Party for the Animals (yes we have one of those...:eek:) and the right wing party of Wilders.
They want a ban on all hunting and shooting apart from animals that do (major) damages to crops. So wild boar and geese are only permitted on a special licence. But pheasant, rabbit, duck, hare, pigeon etc.. will be protected if this proposal gets into law. Its looking very grim right now, i myself think this might very well be coming through.:oops:

Today 3 left wing political parties did a proposal to end all shooting in the Netherlands. They will very probably be backed by the Political Party for the Animals (yes we have one of those...:eek:) and the right wing party of Wilders.
They want a ban on all hunting and shooting apart from animals that do (major) damages to crops. So wild boar and geese are only permitted on a special licence. But pheasant, rabbit, duck, hare, pigeon etc.. will be protected if this proposal gets into law. Its looking very grim right now, i myself think this might very well be coming through.:oops:

thin end of the wedge??? ...... Stand by everyone!

H&H
​Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the Netherlands where there carry out gassing for goose control.

Cheers. Matt.

Did they not ban the releasing of Pheasants some years ago in the Netherlands, I do know that in Belgium at least in the Flemish speaking part they may only release 1 pheasant per hectare ,shooting of woodcock has been banned, and lamping has been banned for some considerable time.

All the above despite Belgium having a large shooting community and a very active hunting association HVV

does this include target shooting as well? a sad sad day !

by the way , do the marches still take place in nijmegan ? i did them a couple of times in my youth and have fond memorys of the place?

Scary mate probably the future for us all :eek: I guess they will leave them to die of starvation and old age like in the Hoge Veluwe

Not at all clued up on benolux politics but I will guess this is all a direct result of Proportional Representation and minority coalition goverments.

Whatever the reasons a terrible situation for sportsmen in Holland.

Make me realise how lucky we are in this country.

Not at all clued up on benolux politics but I will guess this is all a direct result of Proportional Representation and minority coalition goverments.

Whatever the reasons a terrible situation for sportsmen in Holland.

Make me realise how lucky we are in this country.

Nothing to do with the electoral system. In the UK, we had foxhunting banned for example through pretty much a single party. It works because they think, rightly or wrongly, that there are votes in it. The specific political processes are neither here nor there. It's just a very small, very densely populated and highly urbanised country, as is Belgium.

Interestingly I know a few Dutch people who are moving out of the Netherlands for reasons unconnected with this but because of the general over prescriptive legislation and heavy tax regimes making it a difficult country to live in. They are moving to Belgium.

H&H
​Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the Netherlands where there carry out gassing for goose control.

Cheers. Matt.

They did ban gooseshooting, but now they sort of reinstated it last year. But its only allowed on the geese that stay during the summer. So we are supposed to shoot them of their nests or during the summer period. Also gassing them on a large scale is done when the geese are unable to fly. There was a group of organisations (including the Dutch Hunting Org) together with the government who made a 5 year culling plan with all these measurements in it but the Dutch Hunting Organisation stepped out of it because the actions proposed where ridicolous and many hunters said they will not go out and shoot geese under those conditions.
Releasing phaesant for sport was banned in the 90's. We cannot have any pleasure in shooting apparantly. It all has to be done by proffessionals employed by the government if these parties get their way.
And it is looking quite bad .... But what can you do but cry?:cry:

@ Wayne; the area you mean is the Oostvaardersplassen owned by the State Forestry. Actually on the Hoge Veluwe (privately owned) they are shooting BIG stags.

Nothing to do with the electoral system. In the UK, we had foxhunting banned for example through pretty much a single party. It works because they think, rightly or wrongly, that there are votes in it. The specific political processes are neither here nor there. It's just a very small, very densely populated and highly urbanised country, as is Belgium.

Yes but here the hunting community has been pretty resilient at defying the ban, we certainly have problems with apathy within are own shooting community and events in Europe should serve as a warning to all those that can't be bothered to speak up for themselves. atb Tim

Yes but here the hunting community has been pretty resilient at defying the ban, we certainly have problems with apathy within are own shooting community and events in Europe should serve as a warning to all those that can't be bothered to speak up for themselves. atb Tim

Oh absolutely. I think we're much better at this than we were say in 1997, but there's certainly no room for complacency. I just meant that it's not the specific political system that allows these things to happen. After all, an electoral system is just the set of rules within which you have to operate. It has no bearing on what people are trying to achieve.

This seems to be the way of all hunting as they banned hunting in Botswana and Tanzania as well. I guess these bunny huggers have to much influance!! At least there is no such thing in South Africa yet, so we can shoot away!! Thos wanting to hunt Africa should do so fast by the look of things. We don't know how long it is going to last.

Good luck to you all there

​Best Regards

Back