Rabbiting/Utility knife???

digger9523

That's right folks, another dreary attempt at fabricating a cutting implement! :rolleyes:

It started life as this quite boring (to me) blank which i filed out of some of eBay's finest 3mm 01 tool steel:

IMG_0900_zps4903576d.jpg

and it sat around for nearly 3 years! :eek:

I say boring because it is completely bereft of any of my usual gaudy file work. :-|

Then, Sunday art'noon i had a funny five minutes in the garage, ground the spine and tip down to something more organic/interesting, sorted out a piece of antler, stuck it on over night, and this evening started the handle shaping.

Here's where I'm at now:

IMG_0917_zps391d0d36.jpg

IMG_0914_zpse3b2c37f.jpg

IMG_0913_zps3345c38d.jpg

IMG_0915_zpsc62f5390.jpg

IMG_0916_zps3e8d172b.jpg

Obviously needs some more work done to the handle, a bit more fettling of my blended brass pins, and then of course a clean up and a coat!

I have no idea what the future holds for it. It'll most likely end up laying around, being used to open the odd letter, p'raps the odd deer, then fade away to the depths of my Man cupboard!

Anyway, it's nearly bedtime, hope y'all like it and have a nice day now y'hear! :D

Nice work....
"Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke" :rofl:

That looks like a lovely knife digger. How did you temper/harden then blade? That is what i'm struggling with a bit with my home made effort.

That looks like a lovely knife digger. How did you temper/harden then blade? That is what i'm struggling with a bit with my home made effort.

Thanks mate!

I'm blessed with having a forge in my garage!

However, if you're stuck, you could send the knife to Mr Mick Wardell of Bideford Devon, he provides a first class heat treating service. I've used him a few times, more so for stainless stuff.

:british:

I really like that mate nice work, I wish I had the skills to just 'knock something up' like that!!! I have a bit of a knife fetish tbh so if it ends up laying around let me know and the Mrs can buy it for me birthday for sorting the bunnies!! :D

Seems your onto a winner.........there Nick, very nice mate :thumb: is the antler home grown or bought ?

Rgds, Billy.

Thanks mate,

the antler is cast park deer, Manchurian Sika I believe. There's much better stuff around, but this gear is nice to work with. :cool:

Thanks mate, glad you like it!

Just needs some cow skin on it. Waiting for some new needles and some good thread to arrive. :british:

Looking to make my own knife soon, do you know where I can get a good blade and some high quality scale blanks to use

Back