Argocats

Lee 308

I was wondering if anybody knows of or can recommend anybody who sells argocats, not too bothered about brand new, just in good working order but would ideally like to PX a quad plus cash.

Lee 308 said:
I was wondering if anybody knows of or can recommend anybody who sells argocats, not too bothered about brand new, just in good working order but would ideally like to PX a quad plus cash.

There is one in my garden, it does not belong to me, but I can ask the owner if he wants to sell it if you wish.

All the best

Tahr

Dumfries and Galloway, it is on a new purpose built trailer.

I rang the guy today but got no answer, I am away now until the weekend but will ring him again.

ATB

Tahr

Just be very aware of the shite you get on ebay. A set of chains and bearings for an eight wheeler is approx £800. Best to go with a dealer that way you have comeback. Check wheel bearings, drive chains etc before you buy.

Ads

I had an argo for deerstalking purposes,ran one for 3 seasons, in the right environment it was extremely useful.
I would not reccomend an argo for anything other than open hill recovery.
When you get the argo stuck its well and truly stuck, especially when it weighs 500kgs.
Constant greasing of bearings and chains, constant tensioning of chains,the engine unless its one of the new argo's is utter crap.
The quad will go far more places that an argo will guaranteed!
I honestly thought that the argo we had would be far more effective on soft ground than a quad, not so.
Keep the quad and buy a hill trailer to go with it.
I can recover a stags that weigh 150-200kgs with the quad in half the time that I could with the argo..
The only advantage that the argo had was in multiple recoveries and tired stalkers.
Any argo less than £5000 is one to be wary of!

regards
griff

Griff.
Di you ever put floats on the one you used on Arran?
Or did it eventually stop raining?
Alan

Alan,
3hp suzuki outboard, paddles as back up, flotation suits,marine radio and an anchor! :lol:

I'll have you know "it never rains on Arran"!! ;)

regards
griff

Griff your right it never rains. The spots you see are just midgeeeeees.
Just a couple of million.
Great place though, had some good times on the west side a few years ago.
Paul

interesting these comments about an argo
quad is very versatile and is a lampers tool quick recovery of beasts and less maintanace than an Argo
but the advantages of an Argo
it floats and can travel across water so no need for a boat with an outboard it is quite quick

it carries multiple people and beasts with little ease also if you use it to feed, can easily carry 20+ bags of feed and 2-3 people to help unload
also can pull a decent trailer that a quad can't manange
but maintance is a pain with 16 grease points for the wheel akels and others to take into acount with constant chain lube
but you don't get wet and cold like on a quad
personnely i would now choose a quad over an argo or might even look at a mule
but i do luv my Argo ;)

Argo

Plus one on the stuck Argo!, even my considerable weight against Griff's machine was a struggle one wet morning when collecting a buddie's Imperial on the Loch Garbad beat, I much preferred the adrenaline rush on the back of the Quad to & from the goose flighting, and no breathing in fumes either! :lol:

My experience of an Argo is limited to my annual trips to Scotland. Like a quad, it's a great tool in experienced hands. Sadly these experienced hands are not always at the controls :(

My lasting recollection of an Argo is being out on the 'flats' about 5 or 6 miles from the lodge (and with a socking great ridge between the two). It was the type of glorious day you only get in the Highlands, and the stalker and I had successfully grassed a stag after a long but enjoyable stalk. With the stalker having radio'd the 'argo jockey', we had time to lie on top of the peat hag and catch a few rays. After 30 minutes we could just hear the argo in the distance as it came over the rise. Over the following 45 minutes the noise got louder until the argo was not only audible but also clearly in sight. Another 15 minutes and it was less than half a mile away, the said argo jockey carefully negotiating his way towards us. Then......silence, followed by the stalker's immortal words "this doesn't sound good". Then we heard the plaintive cry from the jockey "I forgot to top up the fuel tank", followed by some very colourful Gaelic from the stalker! My foreign language skills are limited, but even I managed the translation ;)

The only action was for the three of us to walk all the way back to the lodge, the argo jockey getting the occasional boot up the backside. When we got back to the lodge the stalker contacted the neighbouring estate, borrowed their argo, and went out and retrieved the deer - by this time in complete darkness. We couldn't pick up the original argo as it was too dark and the peat bogs too treacherous, so I walked back out the next day and drove it back.

I should have known better, as some years earlier the same argo jockey and I had gone out to pick up only the second red deer that I'd ever shot. Again it was a glorious day. We got out to the stag and loaded it into the argo, then deciding to get back to the lodge along one of the old pony tracks. Unfortunately it had ditches either side, so our progress was halted on a not infrequent basis as one set of wheels or the other dropped into the ditch, necessitating a lot of sweating and swearing to extract it. What should have been a 30 minute argo journey took us well over 2 hours.

Give me a quad any day

willie_gunn

argocat

done a lot of work with the argo they are ok when they are running well nice and warm in the winter unbearably hot in the summer and depending on wind direction plenty exhaust fumes in the cab they cost a lot to maintain and mechanics hate working on them dont buy one if the quad will do the job

Back