Does anyone know what this scope is?

Sherlockintheshadows

IMG_20111029_DSC_0480_SB251056_474.jpg

IMG_20111029_DSC_0481_SB251056_474Detail.JPG

Can anyone help me to identify this scope? I bought it second (or fourth) hand and have the following info:

The scope is marked 2 1/2 – 10x; Schmidt & Bender; Biebertal Wetzlar; West Germany.

The serial number is 13****.
The objective lens is 56mm.
The elevation turret has two rows of markings: 0 - 16 underneath and 1 - 6 above.

Schmidt and Bender have supplied the following info:

"This Scope has been established in 1992. A conversion to illuminated reticle is possible, the cost for this amount to 703.36 euros + VAT + postage.
Otherwise, I cannot comment on them, unfortunately this scope, since it is 21 years old, and not captured in our computer."

Does anyone know the model name or what graduations the turret clicks are (e.g. 1cm at 100 metres)? Also, I believe the two sets of graduations on the elevation turret are for creating personal bullet drop tables, does anyone know how this works?

Any help appreciated!

Sherlock.

Someone may come along to correct me however it looks like it is adjustable or the current trend is to call them tactical/ballistic elevation and deflection drums/turrets.

If you unscrew the top caps after the rifle is zero'd you should be able to slip the scales on the drums/turrets to 0. It would probably be 1cm at 100m as the Germans have been metric for a long time and will probably have this information under the caps.

Incidentally my German friend has this same scope but illuminated and without the adjustable elevation and deflection option and its bloody good. As for the model I don't know!

​cheers Mick

Last edited:
Could be a schmidt & bender 2.5-10x56 precision hunter the clicks should be 1cm at 100 yards

Last edited:
The elevation turret has two rows of markings: 0 - 16 underneath and 1 - 6 above.

It's a wild guess, but I think the 1-16 is MOA, and you could check that by sighting the scope at something a 100yds away and then moving the turret by 1 graduation. If the POA moves by about an inch then my guess would be valid. The 1-6 could then possibly be mrads.

Regards JCS

schmidt made some 1.5-6x42 and some 6x42 with turrets like that , they were used on the L42 i think and the early accuracy international sniper rifles issued ? (without researching in my books i can't be sure ) i think they were graduated to 600m for BDC with 7.62nato use but they also had standard clicks graduated below ?

I've seen similar scopes on police ssg's as well? but i've never seen a 56mm objective with these turrets ? special order maybe?

Looks like a Precision Hunter but I would have thought the click value would be 10mm at a 100 metres for this model.

Pictures of the reticle and elevation turrets plus details where it's bought etc. would help in making guesstimates.

With the current info I'd say the elevation turret is marked for MOA (0-16) and meters (1-6 X 100m). Meant for police or military use in some country.

schmidt made some 1.5-6x42 and some 6x42 with turrets like that , they were used on the L42 i think and the early accuracy international sniper rifles issued ? (without researching in my books i can't be sure ) i think they were graduated to 600m for BDC with 7.62nato use but they also had standard clicks graduated below ?

I've seen similar scopes on police ssg's as well? but i've never seen a 56mm objective with these turrets ? special order maybe?

I think the original accuracy's had 6x42 Leopould scopes but as for the numbers your correct, they are a rough guide for 100 metre incriments and were also on the PMII later fitted to the accuracy's and referred to as the 'squaddie scale' ;), should have put that in my first post but it was early!!

I think the original accuracy's had 6x42 Leopould scopes but as for the numbers your correct, they are a rough guide for 100 metre incriments and were also on the PMII later fitted to the accuracy's and referred to as the 'squaddie scale' ;), should have put that in my first post but it was early!!

I stand to be corrected but i'm pretty sure the early accuracy's had fixed 6x42 schmidt's ?

I stand to be corrected but i'm pretty sure the early accuracy's had fixed 6x42 schmidt's ?

Yep the L96 was issued with a fixed 6x42 with the same turrets as shown on your early Police Marksman 2.5-10. Clicks are 1cm at 100m and the 1,2,3 etc are usually in yellow and relate to a specific loads 100, 200, 300 meter point of impact. This load is usually the 168gn Match .308 load.

A very nice peice of kit which will out perform you and your eyes (mine do every time) and then do the same for your offspring.

Long range bob has answered the question, am I right in thinking the original scopes fitted were green or is my memory really that shot?

Last edited:
To those of you familiar with this "squaddie scale" for a specific nato 7.62 round, does anyone know:

What weight the nato round used for Schmidt & Bender's calculations was?
Whether these graduations could be used accurately with other .308 rounds (for stalking)?
If blank turrets are still available for marking up as required (I've seen them mentioned online)?

168 gn
maybe....best to test it on a range first
yes...either with just the 1cm/100m clicks or fully blank for you to mark or engrave yourself.

So, to sort out the real snipers and sharpshooters from the wannabes, who can tell me the 'snipers telephone number' as it applied to the 6x42 S&B?

It's a wild guess, but I think the 1-16 is MOA, and you could check that by sighting the scope at something a 100yds away and then moving the turret by 1 graduation. If the POA moves by about an inch then my guess would be valid. The 1-6 could then possibly be mrads.

Regards JCS
good sound advice, as normal and predictable form JCS, John, sorry I missed you at Kekso on 23rd, I did go looking for you, no doubt you were sniffing out a a bargain!! keep well

Patrick

Back