Change of address process

joelewis055

Having recently moved (but still in West Sussex), had my new FEO round last week to check safe, fill out paper work etc. He then took both my FAC and SGC as they needed to be reissued with an up-to-date address. Not a problem, however, he then said that it could take up to 12 weeks before i got them back! Pointed out that fairly soon would need to purchase ammo, to which he put 'urgent' on top of the paper work.

Is the above process correct for change of address on certificate? For all i know it could be back on the door mat tomorrow, but, currently without my certificates.

When i needed my changing i took the fac to the police station where the FAO is based then they changed there and then. Took them 3 attempts mind as they kept missings rifles off lol!!

Interesting reading and definitely a contrast to what i was told by FEO.

Will call the office and ask when they intend to process the forms and get the certificates back to me. With a bit of luck they will be doing it shortly (next few days) and there will not be a need to take it any further.

Having recently moved (but still in West Sussex), had my new FEO round last week to check safe, fill out paper work etc. He then took both my FAC and SGC as they needed to be reissued with an up-to-date address. Not a problem, however, he then said that it could take up to 12 weeks before i got them back! Pointed out that fairly soon would need to purchase ammo, to which he put 'urgent' on top of the paper work.

Is the above process correct for change of address on certificate? For all i know it could be back on the door mat tomorrow, but, currently without my certificates.

I recently moved house and went through the procedure.
He came at the appointed time and checked cabinets and guns against my certs.Then He checked house security and had a chat with my wife and fussed the dogs. He then left taking my certs with him.A few minutes later He rang the house to speak to my wife and confirmed she was who I said she was,never heard of that before.
My new certs arrived on the door mat on the monday morning.
Well done Northumbria

He should have left you with your old certificates or given you temporary ones until your new ones arrived

I moved to North Yorkshire and could not have had a better service.

Wrote to West Mercia to tell them that i was moving to North Yorks and my new address. When i was in and sorted i called North Yorks to tell them that I was there and that i would like a s.1 shotgun whilst my certificate was in with them. Sent the cheque and a letter, a few weeks later my new certificate landed in the box with the addition and a letter asking to post my old one back.

Excellent service. Not seen a police officer since i have been here!

I'll be doing it next week, I'm hoping I can hang on to my certs until the new one's arrive.

I've changed address 4 months ago, certificate hand delivered by my FEO when he came to check cabinets and took no more then two weeks. can't complaint really.

I've changed address 4 months ago, certificate hand delivered by my FEO when he came to check cabinets and took no more then two weeks. can't complaint really.

Serky, you are not the first person whom has spoken highly of Kent firearms processing/admin. Amazes me that counties as close as Kent and Sussex have such differing ways of doing things!

You should have refused to give them to him, and asked him what you were supposed to do if faced with a Firearms Act 1968 Section 48 situation:

48 Production of certificates..

(1)A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate. .

(1A)Where a person upon whom a demand has been made by a constable under subsection (1) above and whom the constable believes to be in possession of a firearm fails— .

(a)to produce a firearm certificate or, as the case may be, a shot gun certificate; .

(b)to show that he is a person who, by reason of his place of residence or any other circumstances, is not entitled to be issued with a document identifying that firearm under any of the provisions which in the other member States correspond to the provisions of this Act for the issue of European firearms passes; or .

(c)to show that he is in possession of the firearm exclusively in connection with the carrying on of activities in respect of which, he or the person on whose behalf he has possession of the firearm, is recognised, for the purposes of the law of another member State relating to firearms, as a collector of firearms or a body concerned in the cultural or historical aspects of weapons, .
the constable may demand from that person the production of a document which has been issued to that person in another member State under any such corresponding provisions, identifies that firearm as a firearm to which it relates and is for the time being valid.]

(2)If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address.

May I respectfully suggest that you join either BASC BDS, NGO, or an associated organisation, it will ensure & insure against all your queries, the cost these days in order to get correct advice and shooting insurance is not really expensive compraed with all the inconveinence you would otherwise suffer

David TS, the section refers to A CONSTABLE, Iam usure if a Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) falls into that catergory, as they are usually civillians, not unless there is a derogation by the Chief Constable of that Force area, in any event the FEO already knows that this person has not only a certificate, but a current one at that, so why should he need to take it, he has no powers to do so as I understand the FA 1968 & it's amendments, but Iam sure others on this site of knowledege and information may know different

A phone call to the Sussex office, explaining that i needed to purchase ammo and the certificates were back within 7 days (two days after phone call). Now, for me in this situation it made no real difference (guns remained in safe, certificate back by when i needed ammo). Although that does not mean that i would not do the same if the situation happened again.

Back