Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cow shooting!

Cow shooting!

Just flicking through the Mail and saw the story of a mature cow being shot by Police in a school plyground. Amongst other things I wondered what caliber they would have used as the story says it took three shots to drop it . All the print says is 'sniper rifle'.

Any ideas or views?

well, if the the last cow shot by police is anything to go by the might just have blown their budget on live fire training...

A bloke who lives near me is in the armed response what they use for run away cows is shotguns with a slug. And the last bull that they had to use it on took 6 shots to eventually stop it. He said the bull turned round to look at him and he had a 3inch circle in its chest but it still ran off smashing into cars in the way. The only thing that evetually stopped it was a headshot. It might of taken three shots if the animal was pumped with adreniline thou as it prob was. If it wasnt that says alot about the marksmans aim lol
    Last edited by Stalking 6.5x55; 27-03-2013 at 15:31. Reason: Missed info out

In the Mail it showed the police marksman on a ladder with rifle on top of the police van. I think members of the public claimed they missed twice but the police say the cow just wouldn't go down. I just wonder what they used and where they shot it.

This bloke says most rifles used in the armed response is the .223 i supose that could explain why it took three shots. But they are trained to take headshots. Its not like you can miss a cows head its massive.

Considering armed police are trained to shoot at "centre mass" to stop a threat and not aiming for specific organs (at least on people anyway) and using either a solid slug from a shotgun (probably unlikely at anything over 20 metres) or a 7.62 I'd be impressed if they did bring it down with one shot, especially as they'd possibly not shot at a live target before.

I bet a fair few "experienced" stalkers shooting a moose or buffalo (no doubt with a .375 or .416 and expensive hunting ammo) with plenty of deer stalking experience would need more than one shot. There was a video on here the other day of someone who shot a cape buffalo twice and needed the PH's son to stab it to finish it off!

thats just plain cruel. the cops not the second video!