which shooting pickup for £7000

Distinguished Member
im looking at buying a new (used) shooting truck ive got £7000 max, what you buy and why ???

it needs to be a pickup style with crew cab and a cover body on the back

ATB

Dave

L200 is a good shout IMO with decent tyres, should find a good example for 7k. Best option is the Warrior with Leather seats upgrade if you can find one
Preferences

Last edited:
Warrior
put a good set of tire on it and you can't stop.
Think my dad has 2 for sale. They have only done road. work. Pm me if you want spec.

Toyota hilux best by far DJC
2nd that, I bought one about a year and a half ago, 54 plate with 53k miles, you won't fine better for the money, good tyres are a must with whichever pickup you choose, but a hilux would win my vote over the rest, in the past 2 years thanks to some experimenting on my employers part, I've tested L200 warriors, Isuzu rodeo, ford ranger and Nissan navara, the hilux wins on all fronts, even being slightly older.

For 7k i would say that the Hilux isnt the one to go for because you wont get the 3l and lots of miles.

I had a new shape L200 double cab and actually liked it better than the Hilux's i tried. Should get a decent L200 for that money, 4 life, warrior etc are the ones to go for not the 4 work. 4 life has stell wheels as standard but quite often people, like i did, will buy alloys and retro fit them which is a good upgrade tyre wise and looks a lot smarter.

Dan

Best option is to test drive a few try a 7K L200, ranger, Navara and Hi Lux and I bet you don't buy the hilux. Simply you don't get much for your money and 7k you are looking at high miles or really old compared to the rest when you will get a far newer truck less miles and more importantly the newer far more economical engines.

L200 and decent tyres. Local keeper had a drive of mine and reckons it was better than the hilux's he's been using for several years (suspension leaf springs constantly breaking)

Hilux is most expensive. and with less toys inside. Top gear may have a lot to answer for that. But they are good.
L200 is cheaper but less room inside. ie more cramped. Starting to look dated but really, who gives a f***.
Navara Old model D22 has most room but they can throw their bottom ends about 60k. I have one of these and changed the shell bearings and bolts and am now on 105,000 miles no bother. Don't think you will pick up a D40 at that price. possibly an early one.

I was looking at changing mine recently so had a look at all three. Decided to stick with mine in the end but that is another story.

For 7k you`ll get a good level of condition on any of the inferior trucks mentioned above like the l200 and the Rangers,lol.
I brought a new D22 in 2003 which i still have and it`s done 120k plus miles. Used it for work towing trailer`s, leasure use towing caravans, off roaded it for carcass extraction. Also used as a dog kennel and never had any problems.
I also own the face lift D40 model navara which i brought new and this is used in the same way.
Unless your going to purchase the 3.0 Hilux Invincible which is the same power,towing capabilities as the navara 2.5
your going to be under powered.
The HL2 and HL3 versions offer less towing and power capacity`s than most of the other makes of pick up.
My choice on a limited budget would be the Ranger.

If you decide on a L200 or Navara, have a word with Ollie Smith of SMH Products who is a trade member on here. Ollie recently advertised several on here (advert now on page 2 of vehicles) but has all sorts of ages, mileage and prices. He is a good chap to deal with and I am very pleased with my purchase. Best wishes.

Back