Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wormer tub licks.

Wormer tub licks.

Has anyone heard of a tub lick which has a wormer in it. Found one on the American market. But I am having no luck in Uk.
    If anyone has any details that would be great thanks

Tithebarn do one with panacur in it. It's called a "Wormin Dynabloc".
    Licensed for use in cattle, but lots of folk are using them for sheep. Presumably they'd be ok for deer?

[QUOTE=VSS;553573]Tithebarn do one with panacur in it. It's called a "Wormin Dynabloc".
    Licensed for use in cattle, but lots of folk are using them for sheep. Presumably they'd be ok for deer?[/QUOTE
    I can't find out where to buy them

You'd need to contact Tithebarn and get the 'phone number of your local rep. That's how they operate - sell direct through reps, not via farm stores, shops etc.
    We get a lot of stuff (sheep feed blocks, mineral supplements etc) from Tithebarn, and find them very good. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best quality.
    To be honest, though, I haven't tried the wormer block. I only know about them because my missus designed and printed some advertising flyers for our local Tithebarn rep.

Cheer my man your a legend.

They would be illegal for use in wild deer. All wormers have a withdrawal period before meat can be placed on sale. With cattle the medicated pre-mix has a 14 day meat withhold. If we are talking park deer is is fine, but you would require a prescription from the vet as the medicine is being used off licence (as you would if feeding them to sheep).

It would be both illegal and immoral to offer these to wild deer as you cannot be sure someone else will not shoot and eat unfit meat.

Personally they are a very poor way of worming anything as there is a high risk of a sub-leathal dose for the worms being consumed and therefore promoting resistance.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I drench deer & antelope regularly with baits/licks.
    Doulbe the recomended dose, set out twice as many baits as animals, some will eat three but the slowest will still get one.
    If using a liquid lick, know how much is consumed in a day add double the recomended dose to this.
    I always rotate the drenches to prevent resistence, take worm counts from pellets, & get good vet supervision.

Running animals into yards to drench isn't always practical, having a few options avaliable has saved many losses.

Cheers Sharkey

Excuse the obvious, but do you need to worm? If these are farm deer, then their worm burdens can be assessed using worm egg counts, if they are wild then unless there is something unusual, they shouldn't need worming. The sheep industry is seeing significant resistance, all due to overuse or incorrect use of wormers. PM me if you'd like to

Ticks & other parasites are also killed with a broad spectrum drench, not just worms. Having the ability to add medication to baits & licks can be a handy tool.

Fallow are generally not likely to need a drench down here, with the reds, its really only fluke & ticks we need to watch for. The asiatics & antelope in particular are very susceptible to worms & they go down fast from them.

​Cheers Sharkey