knife

rob keeper

I have no idea what you call the knifes with the ball on the end.I find this a great tool in the deer larder and wondered if any one knows of one that comes with a sheath,as this will be very helpful in the field.I cant find any on the net but with out knowing the proper name im a bit stuffed.cheers rob, also any one know of a small compact bone saw that would help too!!!!!:confused:

Just bought a mora legging knife and done a deal with dougster on here to do me a sheaf .got the mora from Cheshire lad
​cheers Norma
​Ps this to use in the field I have one in the larder too .

On a slight tangent, how do you sharpen these unzippers with a Lansky? It strikes me that a hollow curved blade like that needs a rounded hone but they don't make one. Does it work with a flat hone?

Mora do two types - the 'Roe Knife' - now often called a bleeding knife ( but that could just be due to a short temper :D ) and a longer wedge shape one which is commonly called a tripe knife - I'll go check what the catalogue calls them..

There are several, but think this one is what you mean? - Gutting Knife, Propylene Handle, Black - Food Industry - Mora Of Sweden :: Mora Distribution

MMbeatle has advertised the former and Monarch/Cheshire Lad have as well. Moonraker Knives remain a good source for all things Mora ( tell Tony I mentioned him! - business link declared ) ) and do the Outdoor Edge as well.

The Roe comes with a sheath and I believe Dougster ( friend/business link declared ) will sheath them.

For the deeply curved versions I use the Lanskey ceramic rod type sharpeners - the Fold A Vee will do it and as will the rod box set. With Scandi ground edges you just need to take care to maintain the angle - or decide to go with a secondary bevel ( which has some merits ). Obviously, have to declare interest as we sell both; but they are what I use.

Last edited:
On a slight tangent, how do you sharpen these unzippers with a Lansky? It strikes me that a hollow curved blade like that needs a rounded hone but they don't make one. Does it work with a flat hone?
The best results I've had have been doing it by hand with one of the sticks from a Spyderco sharpener. As you say, the blade is an awkward shape for a jig.

A pair of larder knives by Stu Mitchell.
The trick with sharpening the tripe knife is not let it get to bad and just keep touching it with a steel, no reason why this type of knife should loose its edge to be honest as it doesn't need to go near bone etc.

_MG_0150_2.jpg

Following on from the topic of Stu Mitchell knives, this thread show a photo of a pair that I had made for my 40th birthday.

Apologies, missed this until now , here are the Guy Stainthorpe versions, RWL 34 and Desert Ironwood scales. My 65th birthday pressie to me, last year

Apologies, missed this until now , here are the Guy Stainthorpe versions, RWL 34 and Desert Ironwood scales. My 65th birthday pressie to me, last year

Very nice, I would be too scared of taking them outdoors as I would loose them!

Beautifull tripe knives but arn't the handles on upside down? I find the Outdoor Edge type knife where the curve and point are on the top when holding the knife much easier to use when skinning.

Last edited:
btw
should you wish this set​ he is now a member on the sd sight and is making knifes again :thumb:

A pair of larder knives by Stu Mitchell. The trick with sharpening the tripe knife is not let it get to bad and just keep touching it with a steel, no reason why this type of knife should loose its edge to be honest as it doesn't need to go near bone etc.
_MG_0150_2.jpg

i hate this site when the knifes come out it makes me go out and buy yet another makers blade just so it can sit in the collection very nice rivet work :drool:
Very nice, I would be too scared of taking them outdoors as I would loose them!

Will you and Glyn1 please just STOP IT.

Stop posting the photos of these damned knives, as every time I see either set my hand can't help reaching for my wallet. Will power has prevailed, at least so far, but if you keep posting photos I can see the inevitable happening.

​willie_gunn

P.S. What chance do you think that I could get a matching brisket saw to make up the full set?

Last edited:
Back